EHD 1 disappears when trying to access

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHD 1 disappears when trying to access

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

I've have had two EHD's for years and around the time that the U521 update was installed, every time I try to access EHD 1 I get a message that it has been disconnected and it no longer shows up on the list of drives. If I wait a minute or so up pops another message saying that EHD 1 has been connected and it now shows up on the list of drives. Odd thing is that after this happens, the next time I press the DVD button it no longer defaults to the DVD in the Hopper 3 (like it has always done in the past) but instead defaults to the last drive that I had accessed which is EHD 1...it had never done that before.

Note that this does not happen on EHD2  

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: EHD 1 disappears when trying to access

PCHearn
Costume Designer

Have you tried swapping the 2 EHDs just to see if there is any change in behavior?

5 Replies

PCHearn
Costume Designer

What brand and model of EHDs are you using?

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer
@PCHearn wrote:

What brand and model of EHDs are you using?

Both are Western Digial My Book's...

EHD 1 - WDG1U7500N 750 GB USB 2.0

EHD 2 - WDBFJK0020HBK 2 TB USB 3.0

Both have been used for years without issues. EHD 1 is the one that now disappears and then reappears.

Highlighted

PCHearn
Costume Designer

Have you tried swapping the 2 EHDs just to see if there is any change in behavior?

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@PCHearn wrote:

Swapping EHDs did prove that EHD 1 (the oldest) still disconnects when accessing and reconnects within a few minutes so it looks like it's time to replace it. I'm not sure if it's taking longer to spin up or if there is some kind of time frame that's been changed in update U521 since that's about the time all of this started.

Also, when accessing the DVR, it would previously default to display the Hopper 3 DVR on the screen but ever since this problem started, when accessing the DVR, the screen displays whatever drive (Hopper 3, EHD 1 or EHD 2) was last accessed. This even happens with EHD 1 disconnected and only EHD 2 is connected.

I also want to note that after the automatic disconnect and reconnect of EHD 1, I am able to access EHD 1 for hours (exact time frame is yet to be determined) afterwards without it disconnecting although it still defaults to whatever drive was last used.

KachinaShadow
Audio Engineer

@KachinaShadow wrote:

@PCHearn wrote:

Swapping EHDs did prove that EHD 1 (the oldest) still disconnects when accessing and reconnects within a few minutes so it looks like it's time to replace it. I'm not sure if it's taking longer to spin up or if there is some kind of time frame that's been changed in update U521 since that's about the time all of this started.

Also, when accessing the DVR, it would previously default to display the Hopper 3 DVR on the screen but ever since this problem started, when accessing the DVR, the screen displays whatever drive (Hopper 3, EHD 1 or EHD 2) was last accessed. This even happens with EHD 1 disconnected and only EHD 2 is connected.

I also want to note that after the automatic disconnect and reconnect of EHD 1, I am able to access EHD 1 for hours (exact time frame is yet to be determined) afterwards without it disconnecting although it still defaults to whatever drive was last used.

In regards to the paragraph highlighted in red...during that time period, if EHD 1 has already spun down then it spins up right away like it used to. It's only after a long period of time that it takes so long to spin up that you get the "EHD 1 has been disconnected" message. Guess it's time for a new drive.