Dish Installed OTA Antenna Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Installed OTA Antenna Issue

I recently had an outside OTA antenna installed at no charge through Dish. After installer left my home we noticed several local stations were not holding a signal. I have contacted Dish about this issue and they do not seem to be able to provide me with any information on how to contact the company that contracted the install or to even help resolve the issue. The OTA antenna was installed using a bracket already on my roof from a previous sat dish (seems like a lazy way to operate), a location not at all practical for OTA LOS signal. I believe the antenna needs to be moved up closer to roof ridge line. Anyone have any idea on how I could find the info I need or a contact at Dish?
Tags (2)
7 Replies

Re: Dish Installed OTA Antenna Issue

Chadt41411
Casting Director
For additional help on the OTA, you’d need to call a 3rd party. A great starting resource would be antennaweb.org for a list of installers.

@ Chadt4141 Thanks for your reply. I am assuming you understood my post so - in your opinion Dish nor the actual installer contracted through Dish is responsible for the functioning placement of provided antenna - if not what is then covered in the 60 day guarantee? And who would be responsible for honoring the guarantee. Thanks for antennaweb link but after searching website and following links on website I could find NO list of installers or mention of such.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If I were guessing, I would say the 60 day warranty is on Dish equipment and services. If unable to locate anyone on antennaweb, go to google and type in “OTA antenna installers near me�.

stile99
Cinematographer
It's a bit of a sticky issue, but the quick answer is yes, of course the installer is responsible to make sure it is working.

However, that's the point of the signoff process, where you are handed a piece of paper (or these days, more likely a tablet) which has a lot of text, but part of that text is "I confirm I have tested/inspected everything and it is installed/functioning to my satisfaction". At that point, the responsibility transfers to you.

What this means is they could come to your house, install the antenna on your car, and shove the paperwork at you. If you sign it, the transaction is done. Goodbye. I personally have experienced this with movers, they took a door off to more easily access the room. As for me, I stayed the heck out of their way, and then one of them came to me with the paperwork when they were 'done'. At this point, I had two options. Either sign without inspecting, or sign with inspecting. Thankfully, I chose to inspect, and had the opportunity to tell them I'm not signing this until you put the door back on. Had I signed, that door would have been my responsibility.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
A few things about OTA antenna. antennaweb.org will show where to point the antenna and the distance. The terrain and distance between your house will determine the size of the antenna needed and how high the antenna should be mounted. Just like a sat dish needing to be pointed exactly to a sat., it the same thing with an antenna. And the further the transmission tower, like 40-50 miles, the higher the antenna must be mounted. And usually, a bigger antenna. And those sticks you screw onto the back of the TV and rabbit ears- don't waste your money.

tamtamtam123
Extra
Dish came and installed the antenna and pulled the cable through the wall and put a hideous cord UNDER my flat screen so now I have a big cord coming down. He said he didn't want to "hit any electrical wires" and "the cord is obnoxious". Then he told me I could hire someone to move it and fix the dry wall. THEN he signed my contract and never asked me to sign off. What can I do to get this reconciled? I want this fixed by DISH and it's illegal for him to sign my name on the work order before leaving.

DISH Employee
tamtamtam123 wrote:
Dish came and installed the antenna and pulled the cable through the wall and put a hideous cord UNDER my flat screen so now I have a big cord coming down. He said he didn't want to "hit any electrical wires" and "the cord is obnoxious". Then he told me I could hire someone to move it and fix the dry wall. THEN he signed my contract and never asked me to sign off. What can I do to get this reconciled? I want this fixed by DISH and it's illegal for him to sign my name on the work order before leaving.

Can you send us a PM with your account number and 4 digit PIN so we can assist you further?