Dish Hopper server connection failure...but joeys fine

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Hopper server connection failure...but joeys fine

Kernjr
Extra
When I log into VOD on the Hopper, the server connection has failed (although all other fields saids OK). When I connect to VOD on the Joeys (we have two), the server connection is fine and has no problems. This has been a problem for several months. Can anyone assist me? Thank you.
8 Replies

Re: Dish Hopper server connection failure...but joeys fine

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Is the Hopper connected to a ISP service? If so, is the service cable or DSL?
What is the MFr and model# of the ISP modem?
Is there a wifi router connected as well? if so, what is the Mfr and model# of the router?

What ISP speeds UP and down do you pay for?

How is the Hopper connected to the ISP service? Wireless or Wired? Wired LAN cable is preferred.

Do only VOD selections give this problem? Does Youtube or Netflix work?

Kernjr
Extra
ISP- yes (fixed wireless)
Router Mfr- don't know
Router Model # SmartRG SR500NE
15 Mbps Upload / 3 Mbps Dowload
Router connects to the Hopper
Joeys connect to the Hopper via the bridging
VOD only - netflix works

Should also mention we have a smart TV and connect to the apps through the TV just fine

The receiver itself is not getting a server connection (where the router is hooked up to via Ethernet)...but the Joeys get the server connection just fine (VOD works on Joey connected tvs, but not the main tv where the hopper is located)

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Is the Hopper connected to the ISP router with a ethernet cable?

Have you done a reset on the Hopper yet? Might try this if you haven't.
I would also reboot your ISP modem and SmartRG SR500NE before you reset the Hopper.

hogfanpjsar
Extra

same issue.  I contacted Dish customer services and they could not help me after going through all the

steps.  Was told they would send my issue to engineering and to contact them back.  I contacted them

back in 2 months and still no solution.  I was told there may have to be a software update (large I was told).

Hopper arcade was one of the major reasons I chose Dish over Direct TV because in the past I could get the

games from just a game channel.  My internet connection shows that it is connected but when i try to connect

to Hopper Arcade it states I must have a internet connection.  What can I do to get Dish to resolve this problem.

DISH Employee

hogfanpjsar, I would be happy to take a look and see if there has been any updates to this issue. Are you trying to access Hopper Arcade through a Hopper with Sling, Hopper3 or a Wally? 

What is the error code listed on the message when you try to load Hopper Arcade? 

Are you seeing this issue when you load any other app on the Hopper or try to view VODs?

Is the Hopper connected to your internet directly with an ethernet cable or is it connected with WiFi?

jonray76
Extra

When I first received my Hopper and new DISH services I was very happy. Now, not so much. 

I've had an issue with the hopper not connecting to server but all other connections pass. I've had a DISH tech come and change out the box and that still didn't fix my issue. 

STRANGELY enough I can connect the hopper to my iPhone hotspot and it connects to the server and VOD will play. 

So what is the issue- I've had to contact support several times and will be doing so again if I can't get this resolved..

THANKS FOR HELP!!! 

DISH Employee

jonray76, is your home Internet connected to the Hopper through wifi, or is it connected through an Ethernet cable? If it is connected through wifi, have you tried to connect the Hopper through Ethernet? 

If you pull up your Network page on your Hopper, does it show it is connected to Internet? To check this, press the Home/Menu button on your remote three times, scroll to "Network". You should see a green or red line. 

jonray76
Extra

Thanks for the reply! 

After having a tech from DISH come and change out the hopper we concluded it must be an issue with the gateway (ATT)

So I contacted ATT and scheduled a tech to come change the modem out and they stated this has happned before. 

Once modem was changed out everything went back to normal as it was when I first got the new service

So something on ATT gateway or the modem wasn't allowing the connection to the server nor was DISH Advanced help team able to get it to work until the change was made.