Dish Anywhere App and Local WiFi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere App and Local WiFi

TimCarson
Character Actor
Does the Dish Anywhere app use my internet bandwidth even when I'm logged onto to same wifi router as the Hopper?

I see this question asked several times, but it is never clearly answered. Most of the replies mention needed to run SpeedCheck to test the Internet speed, which leads me to believe it streams over the Internet even when I'm logged on to the same wifi router with my Android and the Hopper.

I find the app to stutter/freeze and it seems to have zero buffers because pausing the playback for several minutes doesn't help.

Is there not any way to tell the hopper to stream locally?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dish Anywhere App and Local WiFi

DISH Employee

Great question Tim, your hunch is correct, there is no way to locally stream Dish Anywhere. 

Effectively the live tv content or event is streamed from an external server to your device running the app/webpage.  The Hopper is only communicating the guide/dvr data to Dish Anywhere not actually streaming it. 

That is a bit of a simplification, but covers the gist of it.  Hope that answers your question!

4 Replies

DISH Employee

Great question Tim, your hunch is correct, there is no way to locally stream Dish Anywhere. 

Effectively the live tv content or event is streamed from an external server to your device running the app/webpage.  The Hopper is only communicating the guide/dvr data to Dish Anywhere not actually streaming it. 

That is a bit of a simplification, but covers the gist of it.  Hope that answers your question!

Highlighted

TimCarson
Character Actor
Ok, thank you for the clear response.
I can only hope that people with Satellite Internet read this before using the Anywhere Apps at home, thinking it won't use up all of their data!

Jimamador
Extra

Jason_C  Dish employee:  question for you. 

When watching a DVR show or from the guide on my tablet with Dish Anywhere, am I using my Internet bandwidth or the local house wifi?  I have limited Internet bandwidth usage. (Satellite)

So I cannot use this if it all goes through the Internet.

Been searching for a clear answer.

DISH Employee

Sorry for the late reply Jim.

It will continue to use Data, because the stream is happening via Dish Anywhere, which is an external site, not a direct connection to the actual Hopper.  In short, the streaming to your actual tablet happens via dish anywhere, regardless of the source of the stream.