Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

whitebeachsand
Character Actor
The purpose of voice command with the dish remote is to find dish programming. I can no longer do this. If I want to ask Google a question I can do that on another devise. Dish network really screwed up here.

GPH1134
Audio Engineer

Google Assistant is explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkaINA2pDE

Now everything is much clearer.  Still want my remote voice active returned to us.  Dish Network broke my remote...remotely.

AH
Extra
I do not like the new search with Google!!! When I search something, it finds it on YouTube, online everywhere except the TV channels or On Demand. I hate this feature. Can you please give us an option to use this or not. I don't use the voice search anymore because it annoys me. What's the use in using the voice remote if it isn't working like it should. This new feature sucks. You should have at least given us an option to use it the old way or the new way. Don't we count!!!

GPH1134
Audio Engineer

DISH Employee

@702steelersfan Sorry to hear you aren't happy with this change, and I we definitely understand where you are coming from.  You are correct in that now the search is a Google search first and a Dish search second. 

WHY would Dish Network install a program on our Hopper that would allow Google to be #1 PRIORITY???  Dish search should be first priority.  There needs to be some folks at Dish Network to be terminated for this decision of Google Assistant.  I have now read so many complaints.  This has become so huge that it needs to be elevated to criminal court of General Sessions or Civil Court.

Dish Network, you need to make your customers whole.  This means, push the old software package out to our Hoppers and reconfigure the last push that destroyed our remote voice feature.

Thank you

GPH1134
Audio Engineer

You did good....REAL good.  Dish did bad...REAL bad.

GPH1134
Audio Engineer

Updated Aug. 30, 2019 5:22 pm ET

Google agreed to pay $200 million to U.S. authorities investigating alleged abuses of children’s privacy on the widely viewed YouTube video platform, according to people familiar with the matter.

Google is the same company that Dish Network is using for the Google Assistant voice activated remotes.  Dish Network claims that Google takes privacy seriously.  They do.  They take our privacy and sell it on the open market.  Once you make a voice activated command with your Dish remote, you will see the advertisement of what you just said on your Facebook and Youtube account.

Privacy is $$$.  Disable your Google Assistant on your phone and remote.  BTW, this entry is being monitored and reviewed by Google immediately.  Hey Google, how about your #1 lawyer take care of his child that he has not seen since 2007.... disgusting.

Jim-LA
Camera Crew

DISH Employee

Thanks for the post Jim-LA. 

I did try out various voice commands for the video music awards and was unsuccessful as well, however manual search showed it had already aired on 8/26/19.  I think this is why google voice search was unable to locate it. 

I searched for the VMA's before it aired using the crap GA and Google didn't find anything that was Dish program related. The feature clearly doesn't work and is step backward technology-wise and customer experience-wise. 

GA is also taking my search content and using it in a way that infringes on my privacy rights so that Google can make money from it's advertisers. The advertisers use AI and behavioral analytics in the cloud to experiment on me with ads in order to see if I'll buy their products or services. Perhaps that is why Dish has partnered with Google too. 

Rwspas
Character Actor

DISH, you completely ruined your voice activated remote by selling out to Google Assistiant.  The Google Assistant really bites, the few times you don’t get an error message it does not dowhat you want it to do.  Bring back the old system where I can search channels and shows by name!  When I ask for “Football”, I don’t need a **bleep** definition of the game, I need to know what Chanel the game is on!  

tothatcher
Character Actor

Please get the programmers on this.  What used to be a good voice remote became useless with Google Assistant.  Why do I not have the option for the voice to interact with Dish programs?  If I am searching for gymnastics because the US is qualifying, why does it give me directions to a local gymnastics gym?  At 65 I am interested in watching the nations best, but I do not want to participate with locals.  The voice feature used to work and it no longer does.  Give the customer a choice of which way to use the remote.  I do use Google frequently but I want to use it on  my iPhone, iPad, laptop, and desktop.  I do not want to subject everyone on my living room to watch me search on the main TV.

DISH Employee

tothatcher, I know how frustrating this all can be. We definitely appreciate your feedback. When using the voice function of the remote, and you are wanting to search the guide, have you tried pressing in the mic and saying "DISH tune to channel...."