Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

jakester6r
Character Actor
Google taking privacy seriously???!! Are you kidding me? We will be cancelling Dish before very much longer. We will pay the penalty for early cancellation and be happy about it. I didnt want Google on my dish. I didn't ask for it, and I wasn't given any choice. I don't give a **bleep** even if it worked perfectly. I cant say how disappointed I am with this whole thing, and the company doesnt care one bit. Not one.

davehul
Costume Designer

Thanks Jason.  that should help

GPH1134
Audio Engineer

Any updates of when Dish Network Corporation (DNC) will allow us to use the voice remote without Google Assistant?  Ever since DNC took this service away from us, we have not been compensated or given any real reason why they went from an operational good voice-activated remote, to a defective YouTube remote.

Supposedly our concerns have been upwardly reported to management, but we only get Jason replies.  Hey Jason, how about posting something here from corporate (DNC).  Millions of us yell F-Google.  DNC knew this.  DNC forced this on us without notification.  DNC knows that GOOG takes our privacy with $$$ return.

F-GA!  F-GOOGLE!

DISH Employee

There are no plans to revert away from Google Voice at this time, and Dish plans to continue having Google provide the voice controls for the Hopper system moving forward for the forseeable future.

Currently using the Spanish language version of the UI will revert to the old voice control system because the Google Voice system does not yet understand Spanish language commands.  This is planned to be implimented within the first half of 2020, at which point the Spanish language UI will also transition to using Google Voice.

I know this is not what you were hoping to hear, but it is the truth.  

Mlien47
Camera Crew

So our only two choices are to live with our data being shared with google so they can sell it or move to a different provider?

i understand that Dish is a business and that your only reason for existence is to make money for your shareholders but I believe this is a very short sighted decision that will cost Dish profits down the road in the future. It may all become a mute point if most or all of the other providers switch their voice remotes to an internet search tool but for now Dish is the only major television program provider with out a voice search function for the television. 

DISH Employee

We do take our customers privacy very seriously @Mlien47, which is why we are upfront about having to agree to Google terms and services before voice control is activated.  If you do not want to share your data with Google, which  is understandable, you can choose to disable voice search.  At that point text search will become the default and will work normally.

We realize it is not as convenient as voice search, but it is the best we can do without Google services being used, and it allows you to maintain your privacy.  

If you prefer you can also connect  other devices such as an Amazon Alexa and use that voice function to control the Dish Receiver, but again this means you are sharing your data with Amazon as well.  

jxkerr
Extra

I think you're partnered with subscribers as well? Us folk as pay our monthly subscription bills? If there's not going to be an option to NOT use GA for searches, I'm gonna drop. Don't need GA, don't want GA - just want the old, working voice search. Some point, you gotta figure do you love subscribers, or do you love Google more?

pdhickey
Extra

I didn't agree to ANYTHING.  Google assistant just showed up with hopper update.  Its nearly impossible to miss the voice button on the remote and every single time someone touches it, all my Alexa devices cede control of the 4 tvs to google.  I spent a lot of money and time linking my tvs to Alexa now its useless and I'm fumbling around looking for remotes at night to turn all our equipment off.  FYI, google doesn't give a rat's pattooty about my privacy.  My whole house is linked to Alexa, privacy settings are fast and easy or at least they were.  Now google is staging a coup on everything in my home.  Ugh.  Worst decision ever by a satellite provider.  Don't bother sending a link for troubleshooting it, been there, done that so many times I know the steps by heart.  Now I'm researching over the air antennae so I can get that useless piece of flotsum out of my flower bed and send this craptastic equipment back to you at the end of my contract.

pdhickey
Extra

Nope, doesn't work.

Jim-LA
Camera Crew
The new California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) went into affect January 1, 2020. It is similar to the EU's GDPR.

Dish is now in violation of the new law due to its adoption of Google Assistant and collection of personal and private information about it's customers. Such information is being shared with advertisers and other 3rd party parties without our permission or consent.

I suspect a class action lawsuit is around the corner should Dish continue to violate the CCPA.

Penalties can still be avoided if Dish were to return to the original search function and ditch Google Assistant. But time may be rapidly running out now.