Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

shore
Audio Engineer

I was told the same thing  but I see others did that and have found it to be untrue.  You can get rid of the Google assistant, but you can't use your voice remote as you could when you bought the service if you are like most of us.

shore
Audio Engineer

And to those who are saying that it can't be rolled back, it just means that the user can't roll it back.  The company could roll it back if it wanted to.

Absolutely they could if they gave a rip.

shore
Audio Engineer

We aren't asking to be thanked, we are asking to give us back what you took away.

shore
Audio Engineer
So far, I haven't heard anyone saying they don't want Voice search, so your answer if irrelevant. People are all saying the same thing. THEY DONT' WANT GOOGLE ASSISTANT. THEY WANT WHAT THEY HAD BEFORE THEY WERE FORCED TO TAKE GOOGLE ASSISTANT OR HAVE NO VOICE SEARCH AT ALL.

shore
Audio Engineer

I clicked on your link and got a message that the page does not exist.

DISH Employee

@shore 

You wrote:

"I just had a very long chat with a Dish rep about the exact same thing and this is what he told me. 

I will give you a procedure where you will have the option to disable Google Assistant from your DISH Remote and use Voice Command as usual.
The steps will ask to you to initially activate it but will eventually ask you to discard activating it.
1. Press the Mic button on the DISH Remote. This will prompt a screen to activate Google Assistance
2. Select "I Undersand."
3. Select "Allow"
4. Press the BACK button on your DISH Remote to discard changes."

I believe the agent you spoke with misunderstood.  Those  intstructions will in fact activate the google assistant voice controls.  This method is how you activate google voice control without also pairing a google device like a cell phone or google mini.

There is no method of using the old voice control system short of changing the UI to the spanish language settings.  The spanish ui has not yet transitioned because the google voice controls do not currently understand spanish language commands. 

This is being worked on and planned to be changed.  Specifically, spanish support is planned to be added to google voice control and the spanish ui will transition to the google version.

In short, using the english version of  the UI you have two options.

1: Disable voice control and use text search only.

2: Enable google voice control.

I apologize if you were advised differently.

Badfiretaz
Character Actor
This is a step back for those who sign up there elders just for the option of talking to the remote to find a show. Now my wife's grandmother cant do that anymore! Thanks a lot dish
Highlighted

whitebeachsand
Character Actor
Ok Dish Remote... Show me college football games on right now. Response: The Tennessee Titans lost 20 to 7 against the Jaguars. I really hate Dish right now. DirectTV lost 2 million subscribers last year. Dish is on the same path.

Mayalie
Character Actor

I DO NOT WANT TO SEARCH FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN A SHOW OR MOVIE! I have other devices for this. YOu sold our data to Google. F***k you Dish. 

@Jason_C wrote:

@peggyrh As of this morning all Hoppers, Joeys, and Wallys should be receiving the software that switches the receiver to Google Assistant Voice controls.  So your friend will probably be receiving the update very soon.

Moving forward to have Voice search functionality you will have to agree to the Google terms of service.  If you do not wish to agree, which is understandable, you can choose the Disable Voice search option on the first page you see when pressing the Mic button.  You will still get to keep text search at least.

If you are okay with agreeing to the terms but do not want to pair an Assisstant device you can press the Back button on your remote when you reach the screen that asks you to pair a device.  That will return you to live tv, and voice will function.

You will lose some functionality, such as the ability to play music from a paired device, or send map directions from your Hopper to a paired device.  Things like asking for the weather, searching for an on demand show, or even a YouTube video will all still work normally.

We take everyones feedback very seriously, and thank you to everyone for posting your concerns.

@Jason_C wrote:

@peggyrh As of this morning all Hoppers, Joeys, and Wallys should be receiving the software that switches the receiver to Google Assistant Voice controls.  So your friend will probably be receiving the update very soon.

Moving forward to have Voice search functionality you will have to agree to the Google terms of service.  If you do not wish to agree, which is understandable, you can choose the Disable Voice search option on the first page you see when pressing the Mic button.  You will still get to keep text search at least.

If you are okay with agreeing to the terms but do not want to pair an Assisstant device you can press the Back button on your remote when you reach the screen that asks you to pair a device.  That will return you to live tv, and voice will function.

You will lose some functionality, such as the ability to play music from a paired device, or send map directions from your Hopper to a paired device.  Things like asking for the weather, searching for an on demand show, or even a YouTube video will all still work normally.

We take everyones feedback very seriously, and thank you to everyone for posting your concerns.

@Jason_C wrote:

Genes33
Camera Crew
The command stop sending data only will work if the remote has been connected to an active google account. As far as know the only real way to totally remove an already set up google assistant is to reset the hopper to factory setting thus removing the setup. But I am not sure of this as I have not yet completed this myself. Once turned on the only other choice you have to to turn the voice search feature off and only use text search. Even if you reset the voice back to factory the first use will ask to set up the google assistant and you will never unless dish changes the programming to be able to again use the voice search with out google assistant. They believe all the dish users find google assistant a require need in our lives