Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

tserface
Camera Crew

Every time you use Google Assistant or Google you end up with countless ads on Facebook and other websites. Google is forcing us to give them their information so they can sell ads.  I agree with others that I liked how it worked before.

tserface
Camera Crew

Tell them to count their blessings Smiley Happy

peggyrh
Casting Director

You do realize that the older voice search also used the internet to give you weather & provide information regarding programming?  Everything on the internet tracks what you do, Facebook, Microsoft/Bing, Amazon, Google - the only way to avoid it is to stop using a smartphone & the internet completely - but it won't make any difference - your information is already out there, not much you can do about it.  (try doing a search of your name & see what comes up in seconds, none of us have any privacy anymore)

Non voice remotes that don't connect to the internet are still available for those that don't like the new features (Dish has already said you can't revert back) or just disable it like the reps said.  Companies add new features all the time without asking their customers & you can't do much about it (remember the fuss about Windows 10?). 

If you really are concerned and choose to leave Dish over this, be prepared to have your new provider make changes to their equipment whenever they want as well.

Highlighted

Mcmurph
Character Actor
I agreed with Google's terms and now I don't want the assistant. It is horrible. Can't seem to understand anything I say when the previous software was working perfectly. How do I remove it?

peggyrh
Casting Director
I've had it on mine for over 2 weeks & it now is working just like my other Assistant devices - I think it needs a day or two to get up & running correctly (just like Dish software often does). I just set it up on my neighbors Hopper 3 & it's much slower & giving errors so I suspect it needs another day or so.

Was posted here earlier to say "stop sharing data" or "stop sharing information", see if that helps to get rid of it - if you disable then you have no voice search at all though, support has already said you can't revert back.

GLOUISE50
Character Actor

I do not have a Google Assistant so this is definitely a step backward. Should have a choice! Very unhappy with DISH. New and improved is not always better.

peggyrh
Casting Director
When did any manufacturer of electronics ever give us a choice about features or updates? Apple, Windows, Android, etc. update their products with new features all the time - they never ask customers if it's OK. We either learn to use it differently or we don't use those features.

Mlien47
Camera Crew

You say you care about privacy as much as google, that scares me because google does not care about privacy at all. They share info with anyone who will pay for it. Are you saying you now do the same or you have always done that?

Mlien47
Camera Crew

Please just put my hopper back the way it was, we switched to dish because we thought that after over 20 years with direct tv and they didn't give a crap about customers that the dish people did care about customers. Boy were we wrong. I guess we should have just stayed with direct tv. 

hogman
Costume Designer

I hate that Dish didn't give us an option to retain the previous voice remote.  I do not want Google Assistant and the previous voice remote commands worked fine.  Give us an option or I'll start looking for alternatives to Dish.  Just ridiculous that you forced Google on us so you could make extra money from that company.

As someone else mentioned if you would have done some market research with your customers you would have found there's a large percentage that don't want Google Assistant.