Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

DISH Employee

peggyrh, the software is still being rolled out in phases. If your neighbors have not received the new update yet, they will most likely receive it within the next few weeks. 

peggyrh
Casting Director
Thanks for info!!

rangerbear
Costume Designer

Same issue.  I liked the old voice search where it just searched for movies and shows.  I do NOT want the Google Assistant. I want to get rid of it and go back to the old voice search.

rangerbear
Costume Designer

Perhaps Dish should have done a little market research before they went ahead with the upgrade.

Hollie
Camera Crew
I agree. We should not be forced to have to use Google assistant. I do not want it either. I want it the way that it was. The old, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, applies here.

megaron1
Camera Crew
I agree with the others! I don’t use Google assistant and when I try to search for a show it tells me I have to set up Google Assistant on my phone! I do not want my phone connected to my tv. I just want to search for a show like I used to, but it won’t let me! Why am I paying for this feature I can no longer use?

Winracer84
Camera Crew
Dishes fixing to lose a lot of customers by forcing us to use Google Assistant, me being one of them. I agree, go back to the way it was or at least have it as an option.
Highlighted

DISH Employee

@peggyrh As of this morning all Hoppers, Joeys, and Wallys should be receiving the software that switches the receiver to Google Assistant Voice controls.  So your friend will probably be receiving the update very soon.

Moving forward to have Voice search functionality you will have to agree to the Google terms of service.  If you do not wish to agree, which is understandable, you can choose the Disable Voice search option on the first page you see when pressing the Mic button.  You will still get to keep text search at least.

If you are okay with agreeing to the terms but do not want to pair an Assisstant device you can press the Back button on your remote when you reach the screen that asks you to pair a device.  That will return you to live tv, and voice will function.

You will lose some functionality, such as the ability to play music from a paired device, or send map directions from your Hopper to a paired device.  Things like asking for the weather, searching for an on demand show, or even a YouTube video will all still work normally.

We take everyones feedback very seriously, and thank you to everyone for posting your concerns.

mgillespie
Camera Crew

I hope that someone at Dish recognizes that this is a massively unwanted feature.  You have now, without my permission, put a Google IOT device in my home.  I do not and will not consent to Google (or Amazon or Apple or anyone else) having that kind of access to my home.

The previous comment about Google respecting my privacy just as much as Dish does is laughable.  Google patently does NOT care one whit about my or anyone else's privacy, as evidenced by their behavior.  I am now fodder for their tracking and advertising business, and I want no part of it.

It is extremely disappointing that this decision and implementation was undertaken.  It's just one more piece of input into a decision to drop your service completely (after nearly 20 years!).

peggyrh
Casting Director
Thanks Jason, use mine all the time. Looking forward to showing them the new features (which I consider a positve).