Disable voice remote/google assistant?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable voice remote/google assistant?

mgillespie
Camera Crew

My installer enabled the voice remote feature before I could stop him.  I DO NOT want this feature, but I cannot find a way to revoke the setup of Google Assistant for the voice remote feature.  Is there no way to do that?

I have looked at the Google Assistant settings themselves and neither option has anything to do with the voice remote stuff.

194 Replies

Re: Disable voice remote/google assistant?

peggyrh
Casting Director
It isn't active unless you physically push the mic button - it doesn't work by itself. Just don't use it.

DISH Employee

Sorry to hear this happened, the installer should not have activated this feature without your permissions as it requires agreeing to Googles terms of service, something they should not do on your behalf.

To disable this feature press and hold the mic button, then say "Stop sending data".  This should disable all voice features.  If you do press the mic button again afterwards there should be an option listed to disable voice that you can choose.

pintopaso
Character Actor

when I do this all it does is produce search results related to "stop sending data"

I ate the google assistant, it never brings up anyting on Dish, just online search results

How do you get rid of this?

DISH Employee

Try "stop sharing data"  or "stop sharing information", they should also have the intended effect.  

steamdwarf
Camera Crew

I just want voice to work like it used to before google assistant was an option.  now I either have to allow google assistant (don't want it since they do evil) or can only find content via text input on the mic button...

DISH Employee

steamdwarf, I hear where you are coming from. The Google Assist software will replace the previous DISH versions. At this time, we will be unable to revert back to the previous software. 

Highlighted

Suz
Camera Crew

Why are the people who are paying for Dish being forced to use Google assistant.   I don’t have a Google assistant, I don’t want to have a Google assistant, and the fact that I have to lose a feature that I like and revert to texting for a show request is unacceptable. Everyone should have the option to still use the voice control on the remote without being forced to use Google Assistant.

DISH Employee

We partnered with Google because they take privacy concerns as seriously as we do here at DISH. Their platform allowed us the best technology, quickly and safely. We ceratinly appreicate youre feedback, Suz, and we will go ahead and forward this to our engineering team. 

peggyrh
Casting Director

Are all Hopper3's supposed to be upgraded to Google Assistant by now?  Mine did 2 weeks ago, but neighbor's is still on old voice search.  Should I try a manual update?