DVR shows won't play from TV remote

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR shows won't play from TV remote

chettwer123
Character Actor

Our DVR is all messed up.  Our shows won't play using the TV remote.  The shows are there because we can see them from our phones.  We can also play them from our phones.  But not from the TV remote.  Super frustrating.  We have the Hopper with Sling.

15 Replies

Re: DVR shows won't play from TV remote

DISH Employee

What model remote are you using? Are you able to access the DVR at all with the DISH remote or you just cannot play them once in the DVR? 

chettwer123
Character Actor

The remote says 54.0 on the back.  We can still access all the menus, but when you go into the shows they look like they're not there.  It will show a little "2" by the show, telling us there are 2 episodes taped, but when you click on the show nothing is there.  (I can't believe there was a response to my question two weeks ago and I never got a notification.  I had the site up the whole time!).

DISH Employee

Are these recordings part of a PrimeTime Anytime recording folder or in your main recording folder?

Is this only happening on a particular show/series or with any recordings that you have multiple episodes of?

Can I have you press the Home button 3 times on your remote then go to Status on the left side of the screen then go to Check Status? You may get a pop-up asking to continue. Once the test completes tell me what you have in Box D.

chettwer123
Character Actor

I couldn't say if this is happening with the Prime Time shows as they haven't been recording for weeks.  Our service is a complete mess ever since we moved.  Prime Time was working for months but recently stopped.  We'd quit the service alltogether if we didn't have so many shows taped.  

It is happening with all shows that we have multiple recordings of.  

Box D says Okay with a green checkmark. 

DISH Employee

Can I have you press the Home button three times then go to Tools> Reset to Factory Defaults and select Partial Reset? 

A Partial Reset clears any temporary files stored on the receiver and then downloads new ones. This process typically takes 20 minutes but can take up to 60 minutes to complete. It should not affect the timers or the recordings on the receiver. This will turn your PrimeTime Anytime off, so if you'd like that feature to be turned on, you'll need to turn it back on after the Partial Reset.

chettwer123
Character Actor

Ok, we've done this and then we had to step out for about two hours.  The shows are playing from the remote now!  Yay!

We did go in and turn Prime Time recordings back on and it doesn't seem like they are taping.  Nothing has recorded since we left.  

It also appears that some of the channels aren't showing up in the guide (Discovery is one).  We've had terrible reception in this new house and there are quite a few channels that won't come in for us.  We're guessing that the ones not showing up in the guide are the ones that have no reception.  Does that sound right?  

DISH Employee

If you turned PrimeTime Anytime on today, it might be that the Daily Schedule didn't get them set in time to record tonight. If you press the DVR button and go to Schedule, does it have PrimeTime Anytime listed to record tomorrow night?

What happens if you manually try to tune to one of the channels not showing in the Guide? Do you get an error code, or does it skip the channel entirely? Have you been getting signal messages since moving? If so, what is the code in the top right corner of the error message.

chettwer123
Character Actor

There is nothing in the Prime Time Folder that taped.   I checked the schedule as well, and there's nothing scheduled for Prime Time tomorow or the next day. 

When I try typing in 182 for Discovery it just goes to the nearest available channel.  Same with Animal Planet 184.  It's like they don't exist.  Weird because it's been taping my show on Animal Planet recently.  

I know we're having issues with the signals.  We've had a second tech person out to look at it last month and they said it will only get better if we put the dish on the roof (it was working fine for weeks before that though).  We're renting, so the rooftop isn't an option right now.  We haven't cancelled because we have so many shows taped and we don't want to lose them.  

We do have two differnt codes that have been coming up.  I can't get get that error screen to come up now because the channels aren't coming up that would cause the error code to pop up.  Is there another way I can find them for you?

DISH Employee

Press the Home button 3 times on your remote and tell me the Software version listed on the screen. Once you check the software version go to Status> Check Status and tell me what satellite numbers you have in Box E and what they have below them. 

Can I also have you go to Dish on the left side of the Diagnostics screen then select Test Installation? You may get the pop-up asking you to continue. Once that test finishes, does it go back to the Test Installation page, or do you have a pop-up? After the test finishes, if it goes back to the test installation page, back out of all of the Menus and once it finishes acquiring signal, see if the channels are showing up in your Guide again.