DVR functions are superslow post software upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR functions are superslow post software upgrade

Roberto3
Extra
After the recent software upgrade to my older Hopper, among other issues, accessing recorded DVR programs is very slow. When I select a recorded program it takes 10-12 seconds to open the program, and sometimes it opens a different program that the one selected. A call to Technical service didn't help the issue; I just got the pitch to upgrade to Hopper 3 (with a 2 year contract, that I rejected). Anyone else have this issue? Is there a solution other than upgrading, or dumping Dish for Cable or Direct TV? I've been happy with Dish for the past 14 years.
Thanks
Roberto
Tags (4)
7 Replies

Re: DVR functions are superslow post software upgrade

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Since August customers with older Hoppers have had the same problem, there are pages of posts complaining about it, this isnt anything new. Older hardware will always be slower, Hopper with Sling is over four years old, even the Hopper 3 is two years old now.

Alehed
Extra
I’m pissed at this latest upgrade. Not only is it sloooow, it’s not as user friendly as the last one. No conflict notifications without pulling up the timer window. Directv is looking more and more appealing. Instead of moving forward, Dish seems to have regressed.

beckdent
Extra

I'm having the same problem. It's incredibly frustrating. Since the update, sometimes it has a delayed response when I'm fast forwarding or rewinding too which is annoying. And it often gived me mixed information when I click on something I've DVR'd. For example, it will show me the picture and give the info blurb about a different show than I've selected. And then I don't even know what show is going to play when it finally decides to do so.  I've always had good service with Dish previously so it's disheartening that you all seem to be having the same problem and there doesn't appear to be a resolution.  Or any real response from Dish.

Jerel2u
Character Actor
So what? Why is a 4+ year old device obsolete? Do you buy a new washing machine every couple of years? Or television? Or ANYTHING other than maybe a cell phone? Dish is the only tech vendor that forces a bad update on older equipment and then says, “You don’t like it? Tough! Buy a newer device or shut up.”

D6611
Extra

I am having the same problem, and it's very frustrating.  I have called Dish twice.  The first person said that to fix the problem, I needed a new Hopper, and it would cost me money.  The second person said that customers (mostly elderly) have asked that the functions be made to be slower, so Dish obliged -- that makes no sense.  But, I could get a new Hopper, though it would cost me money.  It is unreasonable to make the user experience worse with new software, and then for Dish's response to complaints to be, "for your functionality to work as good as it used to, you have to pay for a new Hopper."

Norm999
Extra

I agree with the slow response to DVR.  It will take up one minute to get to a recording sense the "up Grade"  What can be done to speed it up?

DISH Employee

Older Hopper models may respond to the new software slower since they have less memory. This is similar to running a new operating system on an older smart phone. If you are experiencing slow loading in the menus, one thing you can try is a partial reset. This will clear any temporary files stored on the receiver and then re download new ones. Most timers and recordings are not impacted by a Partial Reset, however, Prime Time Anytime will be disabled after the process completes and would need to be turned back on if you wish. The process typically takes 20 minutes but can take up to 60 minutes To do this go to menu>settings>diagnostics>tools>reset to factory defaults>partial reset. Once you get the pop-up, select "reset" and the process will start.