cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DVR deleted all of my recordings without my permission

stile99
Cinematographer
kikellis wrote:
Thanks for the info, but there is no way that the personal recordings of my kids marching in the Fresno State Band Veteran's Day parade five years ago, or my daughter being on the news about her lifeguard training are on Amazon. These are what I cherished and didn't want to lose. My kids are grown and gone now and I watch these videos once in awhile just for memories sake.........

Just out of curiosity, if these are cherished and cannot be replaced, why were they stored on Dish equipment?

hddn
Visual Engineer
If they're that cherished, try some of those data recovery services. You might also try the local stations - usually if you're on the news they'll make a disk for you - though typically one asks for this at the time one is on the news. But who knows, they may have a good archive!

kikellis
Character Actor
I also went to check my recordings that are coming up and one of them was automatically "skipped" because the show already exists in the DVR...how can it exist if it was wiped out? I am still hopeful that they are actually there somewhere...

peggyrh
Associate Producer
If recordings are there it's going to be almost impossible to retrieve them if the hard drive is corrupt. You need to remember that a DVR is basically a computer & computer hard drives fail, not much anyone can do - electronics fail when they get old & anything over 5 yrs old is past it's normal lifespan.

You need to have Dish replace your current DVR as it will continue to malfunction.

hddn
Visual Engineer
If you are entertaining any thoughts of trying to recover anything from this drive, you should power it down to assure that additional data is not written on top of data that you hope to recover. It may or may not be possible for a service or software to recover anything right now, but if you keep letting it overwrite, it will only become less likely that anything can be recovered.

If I was in your situation, I would power it down, and first contact the local stations. If they can't provide anything, then evaluate your options for hard drive recovery. BTW, its quite possible that your stations have archived even more video than what was shown on air. If you explain your situation, I'll bet someone will go "on a mission" to find what you want!

Of course, this depends on them having an archive, but in these days of digital video, retrieving a 5 year-old video may just be a few key clicks for them!

kikellis
Character Actor
Thank you...I have not allowed it to record anything since this happened, for fear of exactly that...that it will assume there is space and overwrite anything that is still there. I am manually skipping all my scheduled recordings. But I am still questioning why the one didn't record because the program exists in the DVR...even though it is wiped clean on my screen...still hoping :)

kikellis
Character Actor
The reason they were "cherished" is because they actually were on TV...not something that I recorded from watching them perform in person, so they were stored on the DVR from recording.

mayangrl
Extra
How do you back up recordings? Most of my recordings were all of sudden gone today. I called in and was lead through some steps, but nothing was cleared up. These were not PTAT recordings. :evil:

Chris S. wrote:
On average, hard drives last 4-5 years before you start seeing issues. The fact that you still had recordings from nearly 7 years ago is amazing.

However, there is nothing we can do to rescue recordings after the receiver re-formats the hard drive. The receiver only re-formats when there is an error and it can see that it can save itself without needing a full replacement. Errors can be cause by mechanical failures, data corruption, or combination of the two.

To prevent any issues in the future, it is recommended to back up your recordings to an external hard drive. Backed up recordings can be played back on your receivers, even it fails or needs replacement.

I wish we could help you further, but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to get back your recordings.

Occheermommy
Camera Crew
The best advice for the future is to think of it like a computer and back up. If data is irreplaceable then backup the data to another external hard drive. If it is really important then maybe make 2 copies in case one fails.

Occheermommy
Camera Crew
I know on the hopper with sling you have an option to set up an external hard drive and transfer recordings to them. I just read the description on how to do that. I believe that model also had that option but you will need to check. There are instructions on my dish in the equipment area on how to setup the external hard drive. I would see if u back them up and call dish to have them send u a new receiver. Once it is there follow the instructions for transferring them back. From the sound of it with the one already existing in the dvr, they may be there but the dvr menu screen may be what is corrupt. I did have one time when a program showed like they were all gone but when u changed the dvr menu to alphabetical instead of chronological they showed up. It only happened once though. I would try the backup restore thing with a new receiver and see if u can get them back. Then keep that backup for future if it works