DVR deleted all of my recordings without my permission

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR deleted all of my recordings without my permission

kikellis
Character Actor
Hi...I really, really need help! I got up this morning and all of my recordings had been deleted from my DVR. These included many things that my children had done that had been on TV that I can NEVER re-record. I called dish and they had me reset my system, but I still lost EVERYTHING. I had recordings that traveled with my from California to Texas when we moved here, plus recordings that were six or seven years old that I can never get back. Please, please...does anyone out there know what I can do to get these back? All my timers and the schedule of recordings is still intact, but all my recordings are gone. I am one very sad, disappointed mom. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this site, so don't even know how to look for responses to my question. Thank you very much. :(
22 Replies

Re: DVR deleted all of my recordings without my permission

What is your receiver model? Did you see any error messages show?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

kikellis
Character Actor
My DVR is a VIP722K

kikellis
Character Actor
The only error message when I turned the TV on this morning was that there was a hard drive error.

Community Manager
Community Manager
On average, hard drives last 4-5 years before you start seeing issues. The fact that you still had recordings from nearly 7 years ago is amazing.

However, there is nothing we can do to rescue recordings after the receiver re-formats the hard drive. The receiver only re-formats when there is an error and it can see that it can save itself without needing a full replacement. Errors can be cause by mechanical failures, data corruption, or combination of the two.

To prevent any issues in the future, it is recommended to back up your recordings to an external hard drive. Backed up recordings can be played back on your receivers, even it fails or needs replacement.

I wish we could help you further, but unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to get back your recordings.

hddn
Visual Engineer
My 722 has been running on its original disk since 2010. On the other hand, I had a TiVo from 1999 to 2010 and I replaced the hard drive in that 3 times. I think its best to think of DVRs as more of a "buffer" than a "media library".

kikellis
Character Actor
Thank you, but that doesn't help. I had recordings that can never be replaced.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Many old shows are available on DVD, Blu Ray, and/or various on-demand and streaming services. If you type in show names at a place like Amazon, it will probably give you options for physical media and streaming. Probably not 100% of them, but many shows are available in some way. I've got a bunch of shows I enjoyed in the 1960s on DVD.

For people who are really desperate, there are companies that will try to retrieve data on failed disks. Just google: hard disk data recovery. However costs tend to be highish and I don't know if any of these services know anything about DVRs. I suppose if it's just a linux-format disk, they might know what to do. If you're considering going this way, you should shut off the DVR right now as it will keep overwriting the stuff you want to recover.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Of course, it occurs to me that if it's a leased receiver, you may not be entitled to be taking the disk out. Not sure about that, but it's hard to see them caring too much if they expect it to be dead before now anyway. (Just my opinion.)

kikellis
Character Actor
Thanks for the info, but there is no way that the personal recordings of my kids marching in the Fresno State Band Veteran's Day parade five years ago, or my daughter being on the news about her lifeguard training are on Amazon. These are what I cherished and didn't want to lose. My kids are grown and gone now and I watch these videos once in awhile just for memories sake.........