DVR Recordings Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR Recordings Issues

advocateme
Extra

On October 30, 2016, I lost 80 tuners/ tv series that I had set to record. Of the 80 series, most had 4-9 episodes that we had yet to watch. I spent 3+ hours that night on the phone with tech support trying to figure out exactly what was going on, to no avail!! They had little knowledge on the issue whatsoever. Final result of conversation is they would send out a technician because if would be their "area of expertise." Once 2 technicians arrived, they laughed at the advice I received from tech support. After checking the actual dish, hard drive and cable wiring, the only thing left to do was replace the box, although after running diagnostics, the box was 100% fine.
Dish offered me a lousy $X credit which made me want to puke! Every episode we lost I had to pay another service to watch at about $2 an episode! Over $150 total!
So I was forced to figure out what we lost and how to get it set up to record on the new box. I spent countless hours attempting this. A major inconvenience to say the least!
We now have 120 tv series/tunes set to record each night. All was well until last week when much to my dismay, it's happening again!!!! For 2 weeks now, and every single night, the episodes appear to have recorded, but upon trying to play them, the screen is either black for the length of the show or it stops recording half way in. Once again, I found myself on the phone and via chat trying to resolve the issue!! There only suggestion was a X credit and a technician visit to resolve the issue! Seriously, what is going on?? I pay way to much money to Dish for services that are shotty at best. I am certain a technician would suggest replacing the box... yet again! Meaning I would loose EVERYTHING, all over again!

Please, please help! If it were in my monetary means, I would drop Dish like yesterday! But with a few of $400 dollars, they really are ripping me off. I pay my full bill and in return get 1/2 what is supposedly guaranteed to me!

Can anyone offer advice to me?

MOD EDIT: Refrain from posting offers

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: DVR Recordings Issues

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Many users have lost recordings due to faulty hard drives, etc. It happens, just like having a computer die. Electronics are not perfect - nothing anyone can do, when mine became corrupted & was replaced I didn't get anything extra.

You may have 120 timers set to record (total) but I seriously doubt if you have 120 timers set to record each night like you said. Even a Hopper 3 with 16 tuners couldn't record that much (you didn't say which dvr you were using). I would suggest in the future you do not keep your hard drive full, I've always moved recordings I want to keep for a while to an external hard drive to watch later.

advocateme
Extra
peggyrh wrote:
Many users have lost recordings due to faulty hard drives, etc. It happens, just like having a computer die. Electronics are not perfect - nothing anyone can do, when mine became corrupted & was replaced I didn't get anything extra.

You may have 120 timers set to record (total) but I seriously doubt if you have 120 timers set to record each night like you said. Even a Hopper 3 with 16 tuners couldn't record that much (you didn't say which dvr you were using). I would suggest in the future you do not keep your hard drive full, I've always moved recordings I want to keep for a while to an external hard drive to watch later.

A bit condescending but a response nonetheless.
I have the Hopper with Sling + a Joey, if that helps.
This is the 3rd box I have had since May 2016. I fully understand that electronics fault out but that is a very poor excuse. I have never had a single issue with hardware malfunctioning with any other provider and I had accounts with TWC, Directv etc...
To clarify, I do have a total of 120 timers. And you're right, on average, 3-6 series are to be recorded each weekday night. I always keep watch on the storage so that advice is unhelpful. Lastly, why should I be required to purchase a hard drive just to get my Dish product to perform properly? Absurd.

I'm looking for solutions please.

maddogjack
Extra
You should back your recordings up to an EHD. "Stuff" happens. Since those recordings are important to you, and it's a good practice to back up important things anyway, you should get one. I think (not sure about HWS, but there is on H3) there is a setting to back up your timers so if there IS a crash it is easier to get them restored. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. And it also helps to have a backup of your recordings if you ever upgrade you equipment.
There is a 2TB limit on EHDs, don't buy anything over that, like a 3 or 4TB, I learned THAT the hard way.