DVR Going Wonky

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DVR Going Wonky

logdog
Visual Engineer
Now it's Nature tonight on WUCF 24 at 8:00. New episode, correct headers. Timer only shows repeats next week. Nothing for this week so it won't record my show.

This has been a known issue for over six months now. I keep giving specific examples but nothing gets done. I have to check the recording schedule every night to make sure something I've set actually records.

My issue with the resume function is now over a year and a half old and is still not fixed.

All I ever get from Dish is the meaningless "this is a known issue and is being worked on". No updates and no followup.

DISH Employee
Do you see the timers for this week in the Schedule? Does it show that it's being skipped in the Schedule list? If a show is being skipped, it'll usually give a reason as well.

logdog
Visual Engineer
PhoenixM wrote:
Do you see the timers for this week in the Schedule? Does it show that it's being skipped in the Schedule list? If a show is being skipped, it'll usually give a reason as well.

Timer Schedule only shows repeats for next week. Nothing for this week.

logdog
Visual Engineer
It's doing it again tonight with Leah Remini. Over seven months and no fix... no update. Resume function also failed to work today.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
I used to be able to save a prime time show, then delete it from the prime time box but have a copy. I couldn't move it for a few days, but I could play it - but now it doesn't seem to be able to find it or play it unless I restore it from the trash and it goes back in the prime time box too.

I'm worried shows might expire before I get to them, or I won't be able to watch the saved copy if they expire from the prime time box since I apparently need them there.

This started happening just recently.

What did you guys do or change to make it do this?

DISH Employee
JRTStarlight wrote:
I used to be able to save a prime time show, then delete it from the prime time box but have a copy. I couldn't move it for a few days, but I could play it - but now it doesn't seem to be able to find it or play it unless I restore it from the trash and it goes back in the prime time box too.

I'm worried shows might expire before I get to them, or I won't be able to watch the saved copy if they expire from the prime time box since I apparently need them there.

This started happening just recently.

What did you guys do or change to make it do this?

I haven't seen anything on my end regarding a change to that. Does changing the date to keep recordings affect anything? Can you try saving something and try moving or watching it once it expires? This can be on a show you're not too interested in just in case.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
This is for prime time shows. A new change right now is even when it's a single show, they put on a season header. I only used to see that when there was at least more than two episodes - maybe even more than one season, but I'm not sure. But it's a new change - very recent.

Anyway, I have my items set to expire in two days (the shortest time). I find though I can save them to the general area outside the prime time folder, I cannot move them into a named folder until they expire, so I usually have to wait for 2 days before I can move them.

But I could watch them in the general area, or the prime time folder. If I deleted the show from the prime time folder, there was still an icon for it in the general area and I could watch that. 2 days later, I could move it, too, and watch it whenever I wanted, and keep it, too.

But now, if I move the prime time copy to the trash, and try to watch the copy in the general area, it just dumbly thinks about it, repeatedly scrolling some flashing horizontal boxes like it's looking for the requested item - but it never stops - I have to hit "back.. It can't find it. It's in the trash, yes, and an icon copy is in the general area, but it can't find that or see it or play the general area copy. If I restore the trash item, it goes back to the prime time folder, and then it can see/find/play that copy or the one in the general area, too.

I have another day to test this, and I will learn if when a prime time copy automatically deletes itself from the prime time folder, if the general copy will be viewable or not.

I NEVER really let items disappear naturally. I either deliberately empty the trash early (since I think this frees up space) or I move items out of the prime time folder early and delete those but keep the general copy, so I don't really have experience letting things automatically vanish from the prime time folder, or vanish from the trash.

I remember when I could move prime time items to a folder directly and immediately, and didn't have to wait for them to "expire" in 7 or 8 days or whatever the default was, or however many days they were set for by the user. Then that changed, which was a pain - it was made worse by a change. Now this latest change has made things worse again.

I've never understood the purpose of forcing your customers to wait (until shows expire) before they could be moved to an EHD, or a folder. I think it has something to do with auto-hop, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, if tomorrow those shows vanish from the prime time folder on their own, I think they should end up in the trash for a time, but I'm not sure. Maybe they vanish from there right away or they will hang around for a 2 or more days in the trash. And if the regular copy I have in the general area can then be recognized, moved, played, etc. it'll probably be fine. However, if the system won't recognize it or play it and I can't even restore it from trash, I will lose programming.

I could watch the show, but I'd have to skip 9 episodes I have stacked up, and I dislike watching things out of order.

I think I'll know more tomorrow, or maybe even today after 10 p.m. when prime time is over. I'll see what it does then.

Regardless, some software upgrade is again giving me a headache and making things worse. I can't believe this is just me, but for all I know, it could be just those with "2 days" expiration settings - stupid, mindless, software.

DISH Employee
I can see how this would be frustrating and I would be happy to submit this feedback to our Engineer team. You can also leave feedback at https://www.mydish.com/spokeslistener. Hopefully they can find a resolution to this issue you are having when they send out the next update.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
This morning the 3 day old shows in the prime time folder automatically disappeared, but they did not appear in the trash, so I guess once they time out, they just vanish.

The copies in the general area, however, remained, and just like it would take that long before I could manipulate them and move any of them to an EHD or any named folder, I could do that, and they would finally play, even though the prime time copies were gone and there weren't any copies in the trash.

While I can work with this, it is EVEN less convenient than the last update that made things EVEN less convenient. I shudder what will happen next time the software is "upgraded."

For now, I'll have to keep copies of things I want to keep in the prime time folder for days and days, and since they clutter the place as newer stuff is recorded, it will just make sorting it harder since I'll have to deal with multiple days of stuff in the prime time folder instead of just today's.

I either don't have or have tossed away some items to do a test, but I'll acquire more later. I wish to see if a prime time copy can be saved, then tossed in the trash (which I know will make the copy in the general area not function). But I will then empty the trash. Perhaps that will make the general area copy functional. If not, I won't be able to restore it from the trash, but I'll try this with an item I don't care about. There are usually plenty of those in the prime time block.

It took longer than the end of prime time for those saved shows to "become" more than 2 days old. It took longer than midnight. When, exactly, does the system update how old a show is for expiration purposes? 3 a.m.? Some nebulous time during a guide update? When? It wasn't until I check again this morning that I saw it had finally happened, but not 48 hours since they were recorded, but more like 60?

I'll make some reports to your suggested link, too. Whatever they are doing, at least some aspects of it are less convenient and more bothersome, and thus hardly an improvement. Even putting a season header on single shows is annoying - and slower. It might even require an extra step, or maybe it just seems that way since it's slower.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The shows disappearing in the PTAT folder... when you say 3 or more, are they older than 8 days? What is your save date limit?max and default are 8 days, and then they automatically delete(do not go to trash).