DVR Going Wonky

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DVR Going Wonky

DISH Employee

Is the sound issue happening on any other TV's, or just this one? When this happens is the video distorted?

I haven't heard of any issues with having to replace Hoppers because of this, if there is a hard drive issue it would give you a 311 popup. Is this happening on any other TV's or just the one at the Hopper? Only on certain DVR events over others?

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

"Is the sound issue happening on any other TV's, or just this one? When this happens is the video distorted?"

The intermittent sound issue is only happening with the new 4K, 65" Sceptre TV.  This is not a "smart" TV, btw, but with the Roku Stick+, it is smarter than a regular "smart" 4K TV, so I bought it for my mother.

The video is fine. Even when the sound stops, the video is unaffected.   I just channel up and back, or down and back, or recall, and recall again, or shut the TV off and on again, and this usually restores the sound the first time, but not always (and it clears the buffer).  Playing a recording and stopping that, too, similarly usually restores the sound and clears the buffer.  I can preserve the buffer by unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in, and that usually restores the sound, too, but I'd rather not keep doing that. (Not that preserving the buffer is usually an issue, but sometimes it is).

So far, I have only witnessed this on live TV – no recordings.  It doesn't happen when I play a movie on Blu Ray, nor does it happen with I play things via the Roku Stick+ (so far – once every few hours, it could be a problem there, too, but I just haven't witnessed it compared to the hours and hours my mother watches live TV since I watch Blu Ray or Roku there comparatively little).

It happens through the TV's native speakers, and through the Vizio Sound Bar's HDMI #4 (ARC) connection. If I hadn't misplaced the optical cable that came with the sound bar, I'd probably be trying that right now, but that will have to wait if the issue can't be resolved any other way.

The TV there before was also a Sceptre, 40", but not a "smart" TV, nor a 4K.  It was 1080p, so HD, but not 4K.  The DISH supplied HDMI cable was a HIGH SPEED HDMI™ Cable E119932, but one write up on Amazon suggested that was good out to 1080p and did not mention 4K.  The HDMI DISH DN000731 you gave me (back when you were blaming my cables for a different problem, rather than the software problem it was) does list out to 4K, so I swapped that in instead.  However, it didn't help.

Some say (on the Internet) this is a common issue with 4K TVs and systems or cables that do not play well with HDCP protocols, but I'm not sure since the sound is fine 99.9+% of the time.

I could try a non DISH 4K HDMI cable, or an optical cable, but first I thought I'd see what anybody here had to say about it.  Maybe it's just some setting I haven't set improperly, or a factory reset on the TV would help.  I'll eventually have to try anything I can think of, but since I can't get this to happen via the Roku or the Blu Ray player (yet), I'm less inclined to blame the Sceptre 65" 4K TV.

Still, I'm willing to try any suggestions either from DISH, Sceptre, or other DISH users who may have experienced similar problems they have resolved.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

"I haven't heard of any issues with having to replace Hoppers because of this, if there is a hard drive issue it would give you a 311 popup. Is this happening on any other TV's or just the one at the Hopper? Only on certain DVR events over others?"

I have only notice this problem where I watch most of my TV - the Hopper 3 connected to my 40" Vizio Smart TV.  Certainly no error message has been associated with this.

Skipping back to the beginning after two or three rapid successions of skip back, instead of skipping back 30 seconds, has only happened there.  This separate issue (separate from the sound issue on the other TV) is not of great concern.  I just wondered if sectors went bad in the Hopper's DVR after a time and required to be replaced periodically.

DISH Employee

Let's check the audio compression method on the Hopper, so press the Home button twice on the remote (or Menu once) and go to Settings > Audio Output. If "Dolby Digital Pass-through" is set to On, turn it Off or vice versa.

If you wait like 1-2 seconds between pressing the skip backward button does that stop it from going to the beginning of the program?

Highlighted

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

Dolby digital was ON.

(it doesn't say "pass through" anywhere that I can see, but no matter)

Volume leveling was ON.

I turned the Dolby Digital to OFF.

I left the volume levleing ON.

Dynamic Range is on NARROW, but it is greyed out and I can't select it.

Unless I also need to restart the Hopper to make this take hold, or restart the Joey, I'll assume that might work and just keep an eye/ear on it and get back to you either way in a few days, or when I next hear the problem.

Yes, I know if I wait a couple seconds between skip back pushes, it won't do that do, but I do it without thinking.  However, sometimes, even then, it doesn't seem to skip back 10 seconds, but only a second or two.

DISH Employee

Ok please let us know if you have any more issues after this change.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

I thought maybe shutting Dolby Digital "OFF" at the Hopper fixed the problem, but apparently not – it's still happening.  Perhaps less, but it's hard to say for sure for such an intermittent problem.

But then I noticed Dolby Digital can be set from each station (Hopper or Joeys) so I turned Dolby Digital "OFF" for all the sets and not just at the Hopper, where the TV that's dropping sound is not.  Now with the Hopper AND both Joey's Dolby Digital settings turned to "OFF," particularly the Joey where the intermittent sound problem is occurring, I have to wait and see if it happens again.

The Roku Stick+ and Blu Ray continue to not be a problem or drop sound.

I have learned when the sound has been dropped, it doesn't come back even when a commercial break starts or the show returns - it just stays off (unless I correct it).  I have also learned I can start recording a show (where the sound has dropped) and if I play the recording later, there is sound, even though there was no sound while watching it.

Recall (last channel) and recall (the channel where the sound dropped) continues to be the best and quickest way to restore sound.

I'll post again after a while if the problem recurs or not, just so you know.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

O.K., so after more observations, despite turning the Dolby Digital settings to "off" on both Hopper 3 and the Joeys, we still have the intermittent sound loss.

However, it's not just happening with DISH.  The Blu Ray Player and the Roku Stick+ also have sound problems, but of a lesser nature. I'd call them sound hiccups when the set seems to briefly lose sound, or briefly alter its volume before resettling back to normal play and sound.  Even though it never distorts the image, and the frequency of the occurrences is relatively low, the sound problem is disruptive and annoying.  But unlike the DISH programs, or NETFLIX through DISH, the Blu Ray and Roku Stick+ plus always reestablish the sound in short order after a hiccup.  When a program on DISH loses sound, it stays off until I manually fix it.

This problem is not happening to any other set, even my other 4K set (Vizio) – it's only happening on the new 65" Sceptre 4k set.  It does not happen on the older 1080p 40" Sceptre TV.

The HDMI cables are new and support 4K.

So I'm beginning to think it must be a problem with the new TV, but I still can't be sure.  I'm putting this information here, for DISH people, and sending the letter to Sceptre techs, too.  Maybe somebody has a suggestion that will help.

DISH Employee

JRTStarlight, thank you for the information! I will pass it along to our engineering team so that they are aware! The more information we have about issues like these, the easier it is to find a potential fix.