DVR Going Wonky

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DVR Going Wonky

DISH Employee

Hi JRT Starlight. Have you been able make any changes to the sorting of those Joey recordings at all? For example, if you go into the DVR folder and sort by title or recording date, does it reorganize?

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

I can always organize by date or alphabetically, sure.  But form the Hopper, things automatically are sorted by seasons.  In fact, I have to click open each season to uncover it (though one season is open by defualt, IIRC).  The others, I open, like I click on "Season 2" and it opens and displays all the season two shows recorded.  I click on season 3, it will open those so I can see them and select from them if I want.

But the Joeys don't do that.  They just display everthing in whatever order (probably either by date or alphabetically) and do not categorize anything by seasons.

I like the season break down, so I was wondering if there is a setting I am just not turning on in the Joey preferences or something.

DISH Employee

If you access an On Demand with multiple seasons at the Joey does it sort them in Seasons?

I just want to check if this happening only on recordings, or affecting On Demand as well at the Joey. 

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

I tried one ONDEMAND show from a Joey, and they do break shows down by season.

But the ones I record only seem to do that when view via the Hopper.  The Joeys don't do it.

DISH Employee

That is pretty weird. Can I have you try searching for one of the shows that has multiple seasons recorded? When you search it, does it sort the recordings at the Joey by season or still show the order it was recorded in?

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

I tried searcing for "Gilligan's Island" for example, and though the shows that will be airing later are all season two, they are headed under "Season Two", so the search sorts by season.

But I have like 12 episodes of "Suits" recorded and stacked up on the DVR in the Hopper.  15 and 16 are at the bottom, and 1 to 10 on top, all together, no season break down when viewed from the Joey.  15 and 16 are season 7 and 1 to 10 are season 8, but it doesn't say that when I display them on DVR via the Joey.

When viewed from the Hopper, however, Season 8 is there (1 to 10 are hidden under it, but if I click it, it opens and I can see them) and season 7 is there, too, but defaults to open so I can see episodes 15 and 16 under the heading season 7.

I'd like the Joeys to do that, too, but they don't.  Maybe I'm missing a preference setting.  I dunno. Or maybe Joeys don't do that.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

Anyway, I also have a problem after the tornadoes and straight line winds a couple days ago.  Maybe the DISH is slightly off kilter (nothing to do with the season heading issue).  Some channels say signal is gone or hunts for it, but 99% seem to be there and seem fine.

I go into the 3 house settings and check receiver one's status on the Hopper.

B, C, and D are fine, but A says "error."  I ask why, it says port 1 low signal.

Is this something a service call would fix?  I have the protection plan in place yet from when I last signed up 4 months ago when they reshingled my roof and moved the DISH a bit.

What else might cause System A "Error" and port 1 low signal?

B connected, C strong, D hard drives ok, but A System status  - "Error."

DISH Employee

Hello, JRT Starlight. This is something that we might need a technician out to fix. I would like to investigate both these issues with you further. Can you send me a private message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN please? 

You can use this link for instructions on how to do so: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

Highlighted

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

New problem with the new TV. It's a 4k 65" Sceptre TV, but unlike the 1080p 40" Sceptre TV it replaced, this one is dropping sound intermittently. I've tried all 4 HDMI ports - it drops the sound on all of them, some more than others, maybe. I mean, hours can go by without a loss, and then - gone. To restore sound, I just have to channel up and back, or shut the TV off and on, or play a recording and stop it, etc. but that clears the buffer, and I shouldn't have to keep doing this every few hours, anyway. Also, unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back it works, too, and does not clear the buffer, but repeatedly doing that will cause unnecessary wear on the connections.
The Blue Ray player doesn't have a problem. The Roku Stick+ doesn't have a problem (not that I've seen, anyway), but the DISH does for that new Sceptre TV and that Joey. It's annoying. I used a better HDMI DISH cable (their other cable was also high speed HDMI and DISH, but the numbers on it suggested it might only support up to 1080p, so I used a better one DISH sent me when they wanted to blame my cables for one of their software problems. That better cable - that is definitely 4k - does it too.
I talked to Sceptre and they suggested I try the Roku more and see if it drops out on that, but so far, it hasn't.
Mother watches that TV for 10 hours a day, and it might drop out only once or twice, but it happens too often. DISH's fault? Sceptre's fault? Will they blame each other and neither will help?
Native TV speakers, or soundbar connected with HDMI ARC, the sound drops out and stays out until I fix it. Volume up or down doesn't fix it. Mute on/off doesn't fix it. Channel recall twice often does. Channel up/down usually does, but not always the first time.
I might try optical cable instead on the soundbar, but I misplaced the one that came with it for the nonce, so I dunno.
On-going problem, though. Lots of stories on the Internet have made similar claims. Some say DISH HDMI cables don't play nice with HDCP all the time. I dunno.
What does DISH know about this that might help me track down the problem and find a solution? Have they even heard of it, or will they admit they know about it and are "working on it."?

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

I hate to complain about wo separeate issues back-to-back, but lately, skipping ahead or back on my Hopper sometimes moves the show all the way back to the start, or some other place far away, like the DVR is getting worn in places and skipping, or has bad sectors.

Does one have to occassionally replace the Hopper units due to wear?  This isn't that old - Hopper 3, a few years, maybe.

It's like there are areas that are muddled, and the skip back 10 seconds might only go a second or two, and if you hit skip back several times in rapid succession, it can skip back to the start.  It shouldn't do that.