DVR Going Wonky

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DVR Going Wonky

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
As I said above, I have set things to expire from PTAT in 2 days (the shortest time) so I don't have to wait too long before I can move them around. After they expire, I can move them to named folders or even to an EHD. If I let the default time of 8 days stand, I'd have to wait 8 or 9 days to do that stuff. Yuk.

I've never before really just let things expire from PTAT on their own, so I didn't know they wouldn't go into the trash when they did that. I guess they just vanish, which is news to me, but not really surprising.

But it doesn't seem like 48 hours (2 days) so much as 60 hours (2.5 days) or something.

So when I first got DISH, I could move PTAT shows immediately to a named folder.

Then an upgrade made it impossible to move to a folder until they had expired. But I didn't need to keep a copy in the PTAT folder - I just saved it to the general area where I could watch it, or until I could move it after it expired. I threw the PTAT copy away after I "saved" it to the general area, and even emptied the trash. I could watch the general copy no problem, but could not move it until the expiration time passed.

The latest upgrade include putting season headers on the shows, even if there is only one in the stack, and requiring I keep a copy in the PTAT folder to play it. I can play a copy I saved to the general area, but only as long as the PTAT copy remains in the PTAT folder. If I toss the PTAT copy, the one in the general area can be selected (highlighted) but when you click on it, it just flashes a scrolling horizontal "I'm thinking" set of boxes and does nothing until I hit "back." It won't play that copy unless I either restore the copy in the trash to the PTAT folder, or, apparently, wait for it to expire from PTAT (whatever you have it set at - 2 days for me).

It's annoying that I have to keep multiple days of material in the PTAT folder rather than clearing it out every day after 10 p.m., saving what I want, tossing the rest. Now I have to be careful not to throw stuff out for up to 3 days.

Tonight, I'll test if emptying the trash of the PTAT copy so I can't restore it will enable the saved copy in the general area to start working. If it does, great - that's a little better - but if it doesn't, I'll keep the non-working copy for 3 days to see if it will start working after the normal set expiration time.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer
I thought it might, though there was no real good reason to think it should. But it does.

Once I save a PTAT show, it makes a copy in the general area. If I delete the PTAT copy, it won't play (sometimes it says no episode available, but usually it repeatedly scrolls horizontal boxes "thinking about it" until I hit "back.")

Yeah, when it expires it will play, but I thought I had to wait, but no. If I deliberately empty the trash and leave only the copy in general area (no PTAT copy and no way to restore it), then it WILL find and will play the general area copy.

It's weird. It's probably just some unintended software glitch, but to get the general area copy working after the PTAT copy is deleted, you have to empty the trash first and destroy that copy. Then and only then will the system will be able to find the general area copy AND play it.

Why a copy in the trash would confuse it is a mystery to me. It never did before.

Anyway, though it takes extra steps, I can work around the new imposed waiting period. It still won't allow me to move a show to a named folder or an EHD until the expiration time runs out, but at least I don't have to keep PTAT copies around just to make the general area copy work.

I hope some day DISH reverts to the way it used to be and one can manipulate episodes immediately, moving them to named folders right away, and even better, able to move them to an EHD immediately, too. I will never really understand the need to force customers to wait until the show expires.

peggyrh
Casting Director
You're right, I deleted a recording from the PTAT folder that was a "saved series" show, then tried to watch from the "my folder" saved recordings. The icon for program shows up like it should but will not play, just continually shows green boxes with no no option to delete icon. I then went to Trash folder and selected Restore and was able to watch the show, but that's not the way it's worked for the past few years and does look like either a software problem (I have U507) or a change in the way things work.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

Well, despite having it set to record prime time every day, for some inexplicable reason, my DISH system failed to record any of last night's (Friday, March 16th) prime time programs.  Absolutely nothing was recorded in the whole block.

I've had that happen for a lone channel now and again, but I think this is the first time the whole prime time block failed to record.

I can only hope it won't do it again, but since I don't know why it happened last night, I can hardly do anything differently to ensure it won't happen again.

I also hope the episodes I missed of shows I regularly watch will show up at least in On Demand within a week, but you never know, and even if they do, I don't have the option to keep them very long, let alone forever.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

The system once again skipped Friday's prime time block and didn't rtecord a single thing in that block, despite the "All" setting still being checked for everyday, and the yellow markers showing they should be recorded.

I guess I should have checked earlier.  Next Friday, I'm going to have to check at 7:00 p.m. to ensure the recordings are being made. 

DISH Employee

If you go to your Daily Schedule, can you go up to your Friday Schedule and see if it shows any of the PrimeTime Anytime listed at all?
To get to the Schedule, press the DVR button on your remote, then go to Schedule at the top of the screen.
What receiver model do you have? It should say on the front left side of the Hopper, whether it is a Hopper, Hopper with Sling or a Hopper 3. 
Can I have you press the Menu button twice on your remote and go to Status> Check Status and tell me what you have in Box D?

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

It's a Hopper 3 with Sling.

The Schedule shows the yellow icon "PrimeTimeAnytime" each day, including Fridays. Why it has failed to record Friday's prime time block twice in a row is a mystery to me.

I'll get back to you on the Check Status since I apparently can't do that without disrupting recordings and household viewing for others for quite a few hours yet.

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

Check status was good in all boxes - box D, the hard drive, was "O.K."

Highlighted

JRTStarlight
Costume Designer

Now what?  My TV was acting weird and when it stopped and gave me access again, the DVR page with folders formate changed.  Now it has 5 folders across (with an option I can turn on to enlarge it to 4 folders across).  It used to be 6 folders across (and I don't recall seeing that option before).  In fact, on the wireless Joey it still has 6 folders acorss and there is no option in box 5 to turn on/off that enlarging option.

In any event, I don't like it.  I hate 5 folders across since it looks weird, I'm not used to it, and it'll be a pain to get used to the new order folders are placed.  And I can't find a way to turn it back so it displays 6 folders across the top.

Is there a way to change this back?

Yeah, the display inside the folders has gone to 5 shows across, too, instead of 6.  I don't like it.  Worse, if the main Hopper displays differently than the wireless Joey or coas connected Joey, I'll lose the consistency when I go from set to set.

Please, is there a way to undo this?

DISH Employee

A new update for the DVR/Guide was released. The layout you are seeing on the DVR page is by design, so I do apologize, we aren't able to change this. When the update was sent out, it should have went to your Joey's as well. If you will do a whole home reset, this will force the update to all of your receivers.

To do a whole home reset: Unplug all of your receivers, from the electrical outlets. Then, plug the Hopper receiver back in first, making sure it was unplugged for at least 10 seconds. Once you have the Hopper plugged back in, plug in all of your Joey's.