Constant updating H3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant updating H3

For the past few weeks, my H3 has been popping in with a “I’m going to update in 30 seconds screen”. I can continue watching or go to the settings screen. I have it set up to update at 2am. If I don’t “continue watching”, it will reboot. This means at least twice going to the “starting up” screen, then “acquiring signal” and now the screen goes to black for several minutes. Sometimes the floating “hints” screen will come up. I have contacted CS twice this past week. First guy said to contact them as soon as it happens, which I did. Second person was just as unhelpful as they can’t figure out why it’s doing it. It’s really annoying when I can’t stop it especially when something is recording. I lose at least 5 minutes of the show. I’ve been a loyal customer for 20 years but this is really making me rethink Dish. I’ll probably have to wait until the Hopper completely breaks then have no service while waiting for a replacement. I have the silver service plan so what’s the issue sending one BEFORE it breaks if they can’t figure it out?
Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Constant updating H3

DISH Employee

I absolutely understand your frustration with your Hopper rebooting, 66mustangsally! I'd love to look into this further with you. Is this message coming up all day, or just after 1am?

Thank you for responding. It happens at any time during the day. If I “continue watching”, it will pop up again a couple hours later. Now, when I don’t catch it, it acts like it’s booting up but then just goes black. I have to physically reboot it again (push red button on hopper).

DISH Employee

Let's check the Inactivity Standby screen to make sure it's not set to something ridiculously short! Press Home on your remote and go to Settings > Power, and see what the Inactivity Standby setting is set to. We don't recommend turning it completely off, but I think you're able to set it for 8 hours.

It’s always been set for 8 hours. Both techs got into my hopper remotely and went through a bunch of stuff, just FYI.

DISH Employee

I'd like to look over your account and see what additional options there are (besides doing all the same things you've already done!) Please send me a Private Message with your phone or account number and 4-digit PIN so I can take a look.

To send a PM: 

1. Make sure you are signed into the Communities page.
2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
3. Click Compose New Message.
4. Enter the recipient's name (PhoenixM) in the Send to area.

5. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.

6. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.

7. Then click Send Message.