Constant reboots

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant reboots

ellingmel
Character Actor
I have written here before and have been on with support so many times - no solution. Our hopper 3 reboots many times during the day - sometimes it can reboot 5 - 7 times right in a row. They first sent a new hopper, traded it out and that made no difference. Then they sent a tech. He thought there might be a problem with the cable that goes to one of the joeys so he replaced that cable and replaced the cable to the hopper. Still it reboots. Most of the time it seems to reboot when we have the hopper set to Coffee House XM channel and someone is watching on the wireless joey.

I guess I am just really venting because Dish has not fix and they have basically given up - I am frustrated because I am paying for something that does not work as it should. The tech did say when he was here that maybe replacing the wired joey with a wireless one would help - but wanted us to pay for the wireless joey - we refused that because we don't want to pay MORE when we don't even know if that will fix the problem and it should work the way it is now.

Frustrated.
6 Replies

Re: Constant reboots

RickObe
Visual Engineer
ellingmel wrote:
I have written here before and have been on with support so many times - no solution. Our hopper 3 reboots many times during the day - sometimes it can reboot 5 - 7 times right in a row. They first sent a new hopper, traded it out and that made no difference. Then they sent a tech. He thought there might be a problem with the cable that goes to one of the joeys so he replaced that cable and replaced the cable to the hopper. Still it reboots. Most of the time it seems to reboot when we have the hopper set to Coffee House XM channel and someone is watching on the wireless joey.

I guess I am just really venting because Dish has not fix and they have basically given up - I am frustrated because I am paying for something that does not work as it should. The tech did say when he was here that maybe replacing the wired joey with a wireless one would help - but wanted us to pay for the wireless joey - we refused that because we don't want to pay MORE when we don't even know if that will fix the problem and it should work the way it is now.

Frustrated.


You say it happens when the wireless joey is in use. So a troubleshooting step I would take would be to disable the wireless joey and see if it still happens. If it stops, then perhaps a replacement of the wireless joey would be in order. Or perhaps there is some wireless interference that's weirdly causing the issue.

______________________
Hopper 3 and four Joey-2s

Re: Constant reboots

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I would change out the wireless Joey and get wired Joey 2.0 if the wireless joey seems to prove to be the root cause. IF you get a wired joey, you can connect the Joey via RG45 LAN cable to the main hopper. I have 3 Joeys connected to my Hopper, all use LAN cable connections to the main Hopper. No issues using this configuration.



ellingmel wrote:
I have written here before and have been on with support so many times - no solution. Our hopper 3 reboots many times during the day - sometimes it can reboot 5 - 7 times right in a row. They first sent a new hopper, traded it out and that made no difference. Then they sent a tech. He thought there might be a problem with the cable that goes to one of the joeys so he replaced that cable and replaced the cable to the hopper. Still it reboots. Most of the time it seems to reboot when we have the hopper set to Coffee House XM channel and someone is watching on the wireless joey.

I guess I am just really venting because Dish has not fix and they have basically given up - I am frustrated because I am paying for something that does not work as it should. The tech did say when he was here that maybe replacing the wired joey with a wireless one would help - but wanted us to pay for the wireless joey - we refused that because we don't want to pay MORE when we don't even know if that will fix the problem and it should work the way it is now.

Frustrated.

Re: Constant reboots

ellingmel
Character Actor
The whole reason I have a wireless joey is because there is no cable run to that room and I don't want to put one in. I will say that the hopper HAS rebooted when no joey is in use too - it just seems to do it more often if the wireless joey is in use (the wired joey is rarely used so I don't know what impact it may have).

I am an IT person - it is what I do for a living and I find it odd that a wireless joey would somehow cause the hopper to reboot?

Re: Constant reboots

stile99
Cinematographer
ellingmel wrote:
I am an IT person - it is what I do for a living and I find it odd that a wireless joey would somehow cause the hopper to reboot?


As am I, for a number of years, and I have most certainly seen a lot weirder than that. The next logical step is remove the wireless Joey from the loop for a period of time and see what happens, as Rick says. Just not using it is not the same as removing it from the equation.

Re: Constant reboots

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I would go one step further. Unplug the WAP and see if the problem continues.

Re: Constant reboots

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Been other issues in the past with the wireless Joeys. Possible you have a faulty WAP and wireless joey.
I guess that Wireless Joeys don't have a LAN port.

One suggestion so you can keep something in that room and not run a wired LAN cable or RG6, You can switch out the wireless Joey for a wired Joey. This wired Joey can be connected to a wireless bridge. This wireless bridge can be in turn connected to the main host router where your Hopper can be connected as well.

This is the same configuration I use for one of my wired Joeys and works great. The rest of my Joeys are LAN wired with the Hopper.


I'd contact DISH support on the phone or contact one of the forum moderators in GREEN and talk to them about this.


ellingmel wrote:
The whole reason I have a wireless joey is because there is no cable run to that room and I don't want to put one in. I will say that the hopper HAS rebooted when no joey is in use too - it just seems to do it more often if the wireless joey is in use (the wired joey is rarely used so I don't know what impact it may have).

I am an IT person - it is what I do for a living and I find it odd that a wireless joey would somehow cause the hopper to reboot?