cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Connecting OTA Adapter

mhutch71b
Extra

We just had our DISH service installed yesterday. I went and purchased an OTA adapter from Camping world this morning..even though I am using this in my home...I connect the antenna to the adapter and the adapter to the Joey in my bedroom but nothing happens. Do these adapters only work when connected to the hopper?

4 Replies

Re: Connecting OTA Adapter

Roadijeff
Visual Engineer

I have a Hopper 3 and a Joey in another room.  I can get OTA signals on the Joey but the OTA antenna is connected to the Hopper.  I *think* the adapter must be connected to the Hopper for it to work elsewhere.

mhutch71b
Extra

very nice of you to reply. I think if figured out that it has to be attached to the hopper...i then didnt realize that I could record onto the DISH DVR using the OTA channels..so i just did that...and it saved to the dvr...have you tried doing that before? I cant get it to play on joey yet..i guess I am just learning. I am totally beside myself with this technology.

Roadijeff
Visual Engineer

Hi.  Yes, I occasionally record an OTA program and watch it on the Joey.  I don't remember having any problem doing that but I think you have to do a channel scan on the Joey to see the OTA stations.  Otherwise, you should be able to watch anything that is recorded on the DVR on the Joey.

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

You don't do a channel scan on the Joey.  The Hopper has the OTA tuner in it.  Once you install it, you can scan, add, remove channels that come in OTA. Once that is done, the OTA channels will show in the Joey guide and are viewable on the Hopper and Joeys. DVR events are viewable on all.

Yes the technology is great. DVRs are awesome.  Welcome to 2008!  LOL