Clock or DVR Software Problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock or DVR Software Problem

mddrye
Extra
There has got to be either a glitch in the Dish timer software or their clock is off from the actual broadcast times. It seems that every single program I record then watch later ends up cut about 1-2 minutes short.

I know there is an option to stop recordings later in the timers however this would then cause problems with overlapping programs which results in timer conflicts. It just seems the simple solution is to correct the DVR/Hopper clock. This is super annoying and I am certain I cannot be the only one having this problem.
Tags (3)
5 Replies

Re: Clock or DVR Software Problem

stile99
Cinematographer
Welcome to 1982, where every VCR in the entire world has this problem, because it's not actually a problem with the VCR, it's the stations doing it deliberately to mess up recordings. As you note, padding was very quickly invented to combat this. As far as tuner conflicts, with 16 tuners the Hopper 3 basically put an end to that as well.

hddn
Visual Engineer

You mentioned that shows end a minute or two late - but do they also start late? (If not then it's not the clock, right?)

You can also compare your time to: timegov.nist.gov

That's the official time, though broadcasters are not obligated to follow it. Broadcasters don't like DVRs. DVR users tend to skip commercials, which annoys the customers of the broadcasters. (Which isn't you - you are "the product" from the broadcaster's perspective.) Heck, some company we've heard of even has a DVR that can automatically hop over them for you.

How annoying do you think that is to the guys who want you to buy their deodorant???

Basically, think of yourself as the fish, trying to eat the bait without getting hooked.

mddrye
Extra
The clock does indeed match the proper time for all of my other devices (computers, smartphones, etc). The recordings actually do start late most of time. It almost seems as if though Dish is piggy-backing on another provider which starts on time however the relay itself results in the crappy start and stop times. I still maintain that a simple solution would be to allow consumers to set the times rather than have many tuner conflicts from toying with Timer start and stop times. It is just ridiculous with apparently no solution in sight.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
It's not Dish, they have no way to control what the networks do.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
...and...there is a solution... Hopper 3, sixteen tuners, start early, end late.... problem solved.