Channel 247 METV Picture Format Seems Incorrect

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel 247 METV Picture Format Seems Incorrect

GRB1959
Costume Designer

Channel 247, METV, was recently added to my channel listings on the Dish Network on my Hopper 3.  I am familiar with how a 4:3 image will display on a 16:9 display screen with vertical bars on each side of the image to maintain the proper 4:3 aspect ratio that the original programming was televised in.  I absolutely hate S-T-R-E-T-C-H-O-V-I-S-I-O-N when 4:3 content is stretched to fill a 16:9 display screen.

With METV the vertical bars are much thicker than normal vertical bars for 4:3 content which makes the actual 4:3 image narrower than it is intended to be.  Channel 82 on the Dish Network, FETV, also carries many vintage television programs which were originally screened in a 4:3 aspect ratio, however, these programs do display properly on my 16:9 display screen with the correct sized vertical bars on each size of the image.  They are not oversized vertical bars like on Channel 247 METV which actually causes the displayed image to be a distorted narrow image.

You can go into the image formatting of the Hopper 3 and change the settings, but you cannot get it to display it in an actual 4:3 aspect ratio with the proper sized vertical bars.  Channel 247 contains a lot of vintage television programs, but the display image quality is actually very poor.

Is this as good as it gets or will this get fixed so that the 4:3 content on METV will display correctly with the correctly sized vertical bars on each side of the image like it does on Channel 82 FETV?

45 Replies

Re: Channel 247 METV Picture Format Seems Incorrect

stxisbest1
Character Actor

Use the * (format) button on your DISH remote. Use the stretch option and it comes out about right.  Do not use the physical TV settings.  Without it everyone or thing is stretched tall.  Still won't fill screen but closer ratio.

GRB1959
Costume Designer

I am not looking for the image to fill my 16:9 screen as that would cause significant distortion with 4:3 content.  I want the 4:3 aspect ratio to be correct like other 4:3 content on other channels with correctly sized vertical bars on each side of the 4:3 image. 

The screen format option on my Hopper 3 lets you select between several formats, but with METV channel 247 it still doesn't properly display 4:3 content as the vertical bars are too wide making the actual image too narrow.

Other channels with 4:3 content do indeed properly display on my 16:9 television (i.e. FETV channel 82 which also shows all old 4:3 content programming as well as channel 259 INSP also displays 4:3 content properly).  The issue appears to be with the feed from METV.

stxisbest1
Character Actor

Use the format button on the Dish remote click once to get stretch and the bars go from being say 4" to 2" on the sides which makes it almost 4:3 correct.  Commercials will still be stretched/ full screen but the shows with just the stretch option put them close.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

When MEtv started broadcasting a few years ago in the Tampa area, they started with 4:3. normal picture with side bars. I used the 'zoom' function to fill the screen. It made the picture 16:12 [4x4, 4x3] You get the 'zoom' function with the TV [not DISH] remote. After a year or so, they changed the format to 16:9 even though all the programs they show are 4:3 My Samsung does not recognize 16:9/zoom. Many people, including myself complained and they eventually changed the signal they send to a modified large 4:3 Sill using the zoom function, I get a normal looking picture with top/bottom slightly cut off with very narrow side bands. [there is no stretch/distortion with zoom]

Try using the TV remote p-size button and change to zoom I leave the TV in zoom for all channels and it does not affect real 16:9 HD pictures.

I get the same exact picture using my antenna for local channel 8-2 and DISH channel 247 The signal we receive is coming from MEtv, not DISH

GRB1959
Costume Designer

Thanks d4g4m for confirming that the signal from METV is the issue.

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

And I can confirm they still haven't fixed it.

I get MeTV over the air as well.  Both channels, 21.2 and 247 are set to Normal in the picture size using format "*" key.

247 Is squished.  The local OTA is broadcast in 16:9.

So Dish is still compressing a 16:9 down to 4:3 and putting black bars on the side.

You can change the format to stretch on 247 and there is very little to no distortion of the picture. 

So fix it dish please.

DISH Employee

Hello, gdisarray. I do hate to see that there was some confusion. MeTV on channel 247, is broadcast to us in Standard Definition (4:3). There may be other sources of MeTV that are broadcast in 16:9. These are normally done by affiliates of MeTV.  For example, if your local displays as CW in your guide instead of MeTV, but still broadcasts MeTV content. This would likely be an affiliate. 

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

And how about getting guide data for 21 KPXJ and the subs for locals?

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

The only confusion is on your part.  If you would look at the channel (247) you would see.  It is SQUISHED!  MY OTA is almost a full 16:9  (small black bars on left and right)  

This is not going to turn into a discusiion again about format and crap.  LOL

Quit looking at what your customer service screen is telling you.

Get up out of the chair and walk over to a TV.  Tune it to 247.  (Mine is coming off the 110 satellite.)  With the picture format set to "Normal".   Don't take someone's word for it.  Cycle through formats until you are back on Normal.

When you have done that, come back and tell us that Dish is doing it correctly!!!!  LOL

Do us that one.

I can send you pictures as well.