cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can not connect my router to my hopper

decker109
Character Actor

I have the Hopper Blockbuster and I run through DSL and ethernet.  I ran an Ethernet cable directly to my hopper from my router trying to make a connection but my Tv tells me that there is no connection between the two. I bought the WNDA3100 put it in the back of the hopper in hopes to connect to my wifi and that dosn't work either. I am at my witts end with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 Replies

Re: Can not connect my router to my hopper

comp-joe
Camera Crew

If I'm not mistaken, the "Blockbuster" Hopper was the first in the series and is getting pretty long in the tooth. Did it work previously? It's possible the Ethernet port died. Do you see lights flashing on the ports on the Hopper and router when you plug the Ethernet cable in? No lights on the port usually means dead port or bad cable. After plugging in the cable go to the "Diagnostics" menu on the Hopper and check the network configuration. Does it show an IP address starting 169? If it starts with 169, you are not connecting to your router, if it starts with another number like 10 or 172 or 192, you are connecting to your router and your internet connection is the issue.

I am not sure whether those Hoppers will work with an off the shelf wireless adapter either, you may need the Dish wireless adapter (https://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/remotes-accessories) if the ethernet port is dead.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
The WNDA3100v2 is the Dish branded Netgear WiFi adapter.

I agree about the ports.

DSL, who is the provider? Some do not play nicely such as ATT.

decker109
Character Actor

Thanks for the reply. Yes the lights on the port on the hopper flash. I went to the diagnostics and it just says I am not connected to my router

decker109
Character Actor

Hill Country telephone is my service provider

decker109
Character Actor

Hill Country Telephone is my provider and the lights flash on the port and it just says I am not connected to my router. I wonder if I need a stronger router?

DISH Employee

Do you have just the one Hopper? Sometimes with dual Hopper installations if both Hoppers are connected to the internet that can cause issues.

Did you try the other Ethernet port on the back of your Hopper to see if it worked any better?

decker109
Character Actor

I have two Hoppers neither connected to the internet. There is only one eithernet port on the back of the Hopper

DISH Employee

The only Hopper box that doesn't have dual Ethernet ports is the Hopper Duo, but you mentioned the Hopper Blockbuster and that's the Hopper 2000 which does have dual Ethernet ports on the back. 

Would you be able to double-check the back of your box for me? On the Hopper Duo starting at the far right (when looking straight at the back; it would be opposite the power cable) it has double USB ports, a single Ethernet port, then the HDMI port. On all the other Hoppers it has the phone jack next to the word "Echostar", the remote antenna jack, then two Ethernet ports, one on top of the other. Please let me know what the back of your Hopper looks like?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Phoenix is right. Are you sure you’re not looking at the back of the Joey. The Joey has a single Ethernet port and will react the same way you’re describing. It would have to be plugged into the Hopper.