Can a Dish 21.1 remote control a Joey 2?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Dish 21.1 remote control a Joey 2?

lbeck02
Camera Crew
I just got a Hopper 3 with a Joey 2 and two 52.0 remotes. I returned my 2 original remotes with my old VIP 722 that was confiscated when the Hopper system was installed. I had replaced the original remotes with Dish 20.1 and 21.1 remotes. I find that the 20.1 controls the Hopper fine. Neither the 20.1 nor 21.1 as currently configured will control the Joey.

Both of the 20 series remotes are programmable via the “learning from another device’s remote� function, but this requires a series of commands for each function. I’ve done this previously and it’s a pain.

I’m encouraged by the 20.1 remote’s ability to control the Hopper. My wife and I have enjoyed having separate remotes because she can’t pitch to me very well and I don’t like the terrible chore of needing to walk to her perch to get it.

Is there some quick way to make the 21.1 remote control the Joey? Since the 20.1 does such a good job on the Hopper, I’m thinking that it may be simply resetting the address on the 21.1 to match the Joey. But I’m a little hesitant to start changing remote addresses for fear of invalidating the 52.0 remote that came with the Joey.

Thanks for your help.
4 Replies

Re: Can a Dish 21.1 remote control a Joey 2?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You would need to enable ir on the Joey, and use the remotes as IR remotes. You honestly would be better off picking up a couple 40.0 remotes.

lbeck02
Camera Crew
Thanks for your comment. If I buy another remote it'll probably be the 50.0 to get the voice cammand feature. Then I'll re-address the hopper remote to work the joey.

Your comment does raise some other questions, though:

1. Does the Joey even have an IR receiver eye to read an IR remote?
2. does the 52.0 send IR signals, or is it totally uhf? If so, I may do the option of “learning from another device’s remote

Thanks again - I'm still considering my options.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The Joey does have an IR sensor and the 52.0 does do IR, although I am not sure if it will for satellite functions.

lbeck02
Camera Crew
Chadt4141 wrote:
The Joey does have an IR sensor and the 52.0 does do IR, although I am not sure if it will for satellite functions.

Thanks again, Chad.

I'll try to learn a few commands 52.0 -> 21.1 and see what happens.