Can Hopper 3 Be Mirrored?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Hopper 3 Be Mirrored?

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hello. Have Hopper With Sling (Hopper 2?). Have it connected with HDMI to a TV in one room and with component cables to a TV in another room. Get the same great HD channels on both TVs. Could a Hopper 3 be connected the same way? A lady in the Loyalty Department told me that mirroring a Hopper 3 was not "recommended". Anybody mirroring the Hopper 3? Might go to Hopper 3. Video and audio on Hopper With Sling is certainly suitable. But it is balky, slow, and intermittently frustratingly non - responsive. Thank you.
13 Replies

Re: Can Hopper 3 Be Mirrored?

DISH Employee
We do not support having a mirror for the Hopper 2 system. The Hopper 3 is not able to be mirrored.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
HI, KatyC. Thank you. I am mirroring this Hopper With Sling that I have leased from DISH. Is the Hopper With Sling also called the Hopper 2? The Hopper I am currently using supplies perfect HD video and audio to two separate TVs in two different rooms, via the HDMI and component outputs. This Hopper also has the new User Interface. It has apparently Hopper 3 software in an old Hopper With Sling body. It mirrors perfectly. Or perhaps I am using wrong terminology. Let me try this. I am using both available outputs, HDMI and component, to transmit to two different TVs in two different rooms. Will the Hopper 3 do the same thing? Or is it policy to discourage the practice in order to sell more Hoppers and Joeys? The Hopper is all that I need. And two rooms of the same programming gives me all the choices I need. It just seems that the Hopper 3 HDMI and component outputs would do just what this Hopper With Sling is already doing. Thank you.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
I could have easily hooked up a set of component cables to my hopper 3 and checked but your second post in this thread took the desire away for me to help.

And no, I am not to dumb, I know exactly what you are asking.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
JSracer wrote:
I could have easily hooked up a set of component cables to my hopper 3 and checked but your second post in this thread took the desire away for me to help.

And no, I am not to dumb, I know exactly what you are asking.

Don't be so touchy.
When he asked about mirroring I for one thought he was referring to somehow putting two Hoppers in parallel, could not fathom why he'd want to do that and I don't think I am dumb. Only after reading his post did I realize what he was referring to. Obviously when he re-read his post he realized mirroring was not the right term for what he wanted to do.

I've used both outputs on my hopper with sling at the same time also and they do work but since doing so is not supported on either Hopper 3 or Hopper w/sling no Dish Rep can touch the question.

Perhaps someone else with a Hopper 3 might try it and let him know so he will know if his present configuration will work if he upgrades to an H3 or not.

scotar
Audio Engineer
The question is "Are the component output and hdmi active simultaneously?"

I would think they probably are since there is no piracy protection (hdcp) on the component,

I did it for years on my VIP922k. It only had one HD tuner. The other was SD. So I just mirrored the HD tuner to the bedroom. RF remote worked great.

On the H3 you can add multiple remotes so you can get one for the bedroom and then the other in room with the hopper.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Hi, tommyy2 and scotar. Thanks for your responses. I think that both the HDMI and component outputs would supply HD to TVs in 2 different rooms at the same time. My disdain for the requirement of a 24 month contract and AutoPay, are weighing heavily on my thinking. A logical, comprehending person would ask, "If a company (DISH), was proud of its technology, confident in the performance of its equipment, and bragged and boasted about its Customer Service as DISH does, why are a 24 month contract, and the ability to get into a customer's bank account or credit card account (AutoPay), such important necessary tools for DISH to insist upon being able to have in its pocket? And, certainly with all the User Interface problems and software updates that cause new issues to bother and annoy so many, I am having a difficult time in coming to the conclusion that I have to have a Hopper 3. The Hopper With Sling ( New User Interface) I currently have, is somewhat pesky and it is not as friendly as the first Hopper With Sling (Old User Interface) I had, but I am still not having the terrible trouble others are experiencing. I am not under any contract. That is not easy to put aside. Thank you.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You don't have to do a contract. Contracts are only if you lease the equipment. If you purchase it, there is no contract.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
You don't have to do a contract. Contracts are only if you lease the equipment. If you purchase it, there is no contract.

Purchase?
Anyone here purchase a Hopper?
Never heard from anyone who bought their Hopper.

What's it cost?
How much do you save a month?
What do you do when you have problems?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Purchasing equipment doesn't save anything, you still pay for service per box. I bought a Wireless Joey so I could turn it off during months when it's not in use, if leasing it would have to be returned.