Can Home pre-wired for cable back in 2001 handle HD signals?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Home pre-wired for cable back in 2001 handle HD signals?

prbr0wn816
Extra
My condo was built in 2001 and was pre-wired for cable television. My present Dish Network setup is a 522 receiver (please stop laughing) and was able to utilize this wiring to send a signal to two televisions in different rooms. I'm looking into finally upgrading to HD. The cables I can see in the utility room do not appear to be marked. Did RG-6 exist back in 2001? Would any of you happen to know if any wiring prior to RG-6 can be used or is the HD signal too much for it? Thanks
2 Replies

Re: Can Home pre-wired for cable back in 2001 handle HD signals?

DISH Employee

Good question!

So with the Hopper and Joey system all the communication between the  devices aside from the Dish to the Hopper is over what we call a MoCA network.  MoCA standards actually only require RG-59 tolerances to work.  We only require RG-6 between the Dish and the Hopper.

That said it is hard to say based on this data alone.  The only way to ever "really" know is for an actual technician to go out and perform line tests.  That said, yes RG-6 existed in 2001, it isn't generally a standard grade of coax though because most services don't require it.

Re: Can Home pre-wired for cable back in 2001 handle HD signals?

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

RG-6 existed in 2001.  There's a lot of info printed on the cable which will tell you what type cable you have. RG6 has a thicker copper wire and heavier insulation.