Caller Id not working on Hopper 3 and DSL Modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller Id not working on Hopper 3 and DSL Modem

hangelo
Character Actor

I have a Hopper 3 and three Joey's that were installed several months ago.  Caller ID has not worked since the installation.  Used to work perfectly with our old VIP Receiver.  I read somewhere today that splitters on the phone line could cause a problem, so I set out to troubleshoot tonight.  What I have discovered is that the caller ID will work fine as long as the Verizon DSL Modem is not showing a DSL connection.  I can have the modem plugged in and the Caller ID will show while the modem is booting up, but as soon as it establishes a connection the caller ID stops working.  Anyone have any ideas?

7 Replies

Re: Caller Id not working on Hopper 3 and DSL Modem

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Contact Verizon and ask them to put in a filter.

hangelo
Character Actor

I was really hoping that contact Verizon was not the answer.  We live in a very rural area where the lines aren't well maintained and getting them to do anything out of the norm is like pulling teeth.  Just wonder why the setup worked just fine with the VIP receiver.

Chadt4141
Casting Director

The difference is in the machines themselves. The VIP line up is a line of receivers. The XiP(Hoppers) is a line of receivers built like computers. Differences in the materials and how they operate makes all the difference when it comes to one off's. The filter will separate phone from DSL, as DSL already is internet over a 2 line copper phone line. They need filters in a lot of cases. You might be able to get one from the Verizon store, if you can make your way into one. Hell, you can probably purchase online. A quick Google search of DSL Phone Line Filters brought up quite a few, almost all under $5. 

hangelo
Character Actor

I thought you were talking about a filter externally to my house.  I already have a line filter on the line connected to the receiver.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Try removing it, see if any changes.

hangelo
Character Actor

I did a little more troubleshooting last night and finally got it fixed.  As it turned out all I needed to do was plug the filter directly into wall jack.  Previously there was phone line plugged into the wall jack and then into the filter and the filter into the receiver.  Apparently the old receiver was ok with it being configured that way, but the new receiver didn't like it.  At any rate problem solved!!  Thanks for your help.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Awesome. Glad it is back up and running. Don’t forget to give Kudos or accept the answers if resolved.