Blocking On-Demand Content

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking On-Demand Content

CoCoDave
Camera Crew

Noobee here after 20+ years of Directv with TiVo.  Just got a Hopper 3, a wireless Joey, and #54 remotes.

Made the mistake of selecting an on-demand episode of a series program. It downloaded from the internet consuming nearly 2 gigabytes of data from our "plan". 

We will never conciously select an on-demand program or a pay-per-view or a Netflix or anything else beyond the basic direct-to-home-satellite broadcast content. 

Is there a way to block on a wholesale basis?  For example, all on-demand content?  I looked a parental controls but that looked like a tedious process to block large swaths of content.

Also, now that we have that unwanted recording sitting in the "Dish Rental" folder, I cannot get rid of it.  How is that done?  We've tried the "Select and press Recall" thing which did not work. In general it seems to be more complicated than necessary to delete recordings.

This is all in an effort to reduce clutter and make getting to the programs we actually do watch easier.

TIA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blocking On-Demand Content

CoCoDave
Camera Crew

@gdisarray wrote:

Unhook the network cable.

Well, yeah.  That would do it but it would also disable the voice activated search function.  Or so the installer told me. 

In any case, I think we're there.  I've disabled every channel that had VOD mentioned anywhere near it. And we now know that if the VOD option is listed with a program presented as the result of a search action not to touch it.

So far, so good.  Internet data usage has settled back to pre-Dish levels and the channel line-up is under 100 channels.  We'll whittle that down some more in the coming months. 

7 Replies

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
It will automatically delete itself once it expires, however if you start playback on it, you can delete it after that.

You can block the on demand channels, but the content in the on demand folder I do not believe can be blocked.

CoCoDave
Camera Crew

Thanks, Chadt4141.  Is there a standard period of time until expiration? 

Can channels be blocked using the My Dish smartphone app?  Or the Dish website?

Thanks again,

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
For the receiver, no. Parental settings have to be set up at the receiver.

Each event is different, but if you go to the rental folder and highlight over the event, it should say the expiration date.

CoCoDave
Camera Crew

Thanks, Chadt4141.  So I went through our line-up on the Hopper 3 and blocked all channels irrelevant to us.  Whew!

Who knew that there are over 600 "channels" in the 250 channel package.  Now we have 600+'ish blocked and 100'ish enabled.  All well and good but...  When I went to the other TV/wireless Joey none of the changes appeared in the guide.  I tried to find a way to copy the changes but could not.  So I had to go through the whole process again for the second TV.  I see the logic.  i.e. the TV that the urchins have access to might have a different set blocked channels than the adults' TV.  Still, it would be good to have the option of keeping the blocked channel (program, app, etc) lists synchronized if so desired.

FWIW

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I always thought there was a copy to Joey, but I could be wrong. Now that would be parental settings, I know there is not for favorites lists.
Highlighted

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

CoCoDave
Camera Crew

@gdisarray wrote:

Well, yeah.  That would do it but it would also disable the voice activated search function.  Or so the installer told me. 

In any case, I think we're there.  I've disabled every channel that had VOD mentioned anywhere near it. And we now know that if the VOD option is listed with a program presented as the result of a search action not to touch it.

So far, so good.  Internet data usage has settled back to pre-Dish levels and the channel line-up is under 100 channels.  We'll whittle that down some more in the coming months.