Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
So your solution is that because you were an early adopter on the TV connected to the Hopper, they should just not offer the Olympics in 4K, which many have asked for? Also, HDR is very common in TVs today, but as mentioned, not many are even doing 4K, and none are doing HDR. NBCU made the decision to make it HDR. Your fit, unfortunately does not speak for the customer base. It only speaks of your situation, and your response is similar to my 6 year old when his older sister has something that he doesn’t. In all honesty, Dish not only has done no wrong, but glad they could get it to as many customers as they could. Congrats to them on that note!

Afrey
Extra

You're not understanding the natural frustration that people are feeling
you've got this strange advocacy going on, and instead of being empathetic to others frustration, you are being confrontational which isnt helping people

Here are some facts:
Dish is advertising the olympics in 4khdr.
On their page they state that the Hopper3 is required.

- its only natural for people to read that and say 'hey, i've go one of those'.  It doesnt say that it will ONLY work on the tv connected directly to the Hopper, and it doesnt say that it WILL NOT work on the 4k joey.
- if, on they page they are advertising one, they stated the above facts ONLY WORKS ON HOPPER 3, WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER RECEIVER, INCLUDING NOT ON THE 4K JOEY, then i'm sure there would be many many fewer people coming to forums like this for help solving their problem.

- dish tech support had no idea that the 4k olympic channels would not be available on the joey, that is a huge miss on their part

I ended up here because I had a feeling that replacing the joeys was not the solution, although dish tech support seemed to think it was.

The answer i found, although not a solution, satisfied my frustration.  The 4k joey just is not compatible with the signal they are broadcasting 4k olympics in.  This is a terrible shame since most people getting 4k tvs, and upgrading their dish equipment (which isnt free by the way) are expecting to be able to enjoy the latest 4k content.

What i ended up doing was swapping my Hopper and Joey, although CAUTION to anyone attempting this...
You will likely need to rewire the coax, wherever the junction is in your house.  The Hopper must be connected to the jack marked HOST, the joeys connect to jacks named CLIENT.

Hope that helps, I know it sucks, and it'd be nice if Dish acknowledged it. 

tksamtec
Camera Crew

Now you are taking words out of my mouth...

I have 2 problems:

1.  My Hopper 3 outputs a 4K HDR signal to my tv and my tv doesn't support it.  4K feeds have always worked on this tv/receiver combination.  Now the HDR feed is new, but you are blaming NBCU for "forcing" Dish to broadcast that new signal on its customers.  I have been able to watch 4K on Dish for 2 years now, and all of the sudden not this 4K.  A little note about this potential incompatibility would have been nice before the Olympics started.  I am not buying a new tv to watch a few days of olympic coverage, but it would have been nice to be informed so I am not disappointed like I am now.

2.  I have a 4K HDR compatible tv in another room, where my 4K Joey is the receiver.  I have been able to watch 4K on this tv/receiver combo for 18 months.  This 4K HDR channel is not even available on that receiver, but the equipment is stated to receive 4K programming.  Again, you blame NBCU as forcing DIsh to broadcast this new feed, but in the end here, its their 4K equipment that is causing this problem.  If Dish advertises 4K, make it consistent...it shouldn't work on 1 receiver but not on another.  Up to Friday, 4K was 4K to me...but this situation has made me aware of some new differences.

2 completely different situations/scenarios, but both related to Dish.

As a side note, I have no idea why you chose to be so confrontational, comparing me to your 6 year old does nothing to help the community or resolve this problem.  You seem to be here to stir the pot as I have read some of your other threads/posts and it appears that no one else is as smart as you are.  Then again, there are millions of keyboard warriors everywhere these days.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I’m not putting words in your mouth. You literally said if they can’t make it work on all 4K sets, they should just not offer it. That is exactly what my 6 yo does.
Again, you admit they told you exactly what it was, but you assumed otherwise. If there is not a reg 4K signal, then they can’t down convert it. Yes, you have watched 4K content. You have not watched 4K HDR because it wasn’t forced by anyone except NBCUNIVERSAL. And after the Olympics, you’ll still be able to watch 4K content, as long as it is not forced in HDR. You keep putting them together as if they are the same, regardless of how many times you say they are not the same thing.

And now you are making assumptions again. I feel there are plenty of smart folk on this board. Not agreeing with you, doesn’t make me smarter than you. Knowing what I am talking about does. HDDN will call me out regularly, and I will acknowledge when I am incorrect. You assumed that when they said 4K HDR, you’d be fine, but you’re realizing now that your ASSUMPTION was incorrect.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

I may have assumed that my tv would support ALL 4K feeds, wrong on my part, but I understand that early adopters of new technology can get shut out.

As far as the 4K Joey goes...I made no assumptions there. To this day, this very minute, this receiver is still advertised as a 4K receiver with the same 4K viewing capabilities as the Hopper 3 (there is no mention of HDR or newer 4K technology).  Show me where it says otherwise in all of Dish's available info on the 4K Joey, and I will move on.

Your attitude and the way you respond to posts is what really gets under peoples skin...you may know more than most people here on the subject and I never said that you didn't, but you don't need to talk down to everyone in these forums.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I’m not an employee, and am held to only the standard I set myself. Honestly, if someone does not like what I have to say, they can go sit on their hands. I don’t care. That’s the best part of being a customer like everyone else. I could not do that when I worked there. I was paid to care.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

After doing a bunch of research on why my LG 4k tv is not allowing the 4k HDR feed from my Hopper 3, I ordered an HDFury Integral HDMI converter HDCP doctor device tonight... this is the highest datarate device currently available, that will handle the HDCP/HDMI compliancy check and handshake, and HDR video passthrough (4K@60Hz 4:4:4).  This $200 device should solve my 4K HDR problems and provide some additional future proofing on my 4K LG TV, with any newer 4K feeds. I will be sure to post my findings if this resolves the 1540 error issues, allowing me to see the 4K HDR Olympics feed .

JG
Extra
I was getting the 1540 error running it through my 4k receiver. I bypassed the receiver and ran the HDMI straight to the TV and the error is gone. Hope this helps someone.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
HDR is not advertised anywhere for the 4K Joey. Products and services tend not to advertise things they are missing. Just like the TVs don’t advertise they are not HDR. They only say they are 4K. Which is not the same as HDR. 4K is lines on the screen, HDR is how many colors are available and how the picture “pops”.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

https://www.dish.com/features/picture-quality/4k-programming/

No mention of HDR at all in thar main 4K info link at dish.com

If I use your theory on the 4K Joey not supporting it, then why would the Hopper 3 support it when there are no HDR logos on the device and I have never seen any mention of 4K HDR support since i got the receiver...this Olympics programming debacle is the first ever mention of programming in 4K HDR. Like you mentioned in an earlier post, its not correct to assume anything.