Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
***compensation

Afrey
Extra
Great, I called yesterday, their solution was to send me 2 replacement 4k Joeys, wonder what their problem is and why their techs don't know about it

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
There are reports that NBCU sent this out late, and Dish didn’t have the information in a timely manner. They were not able to train up the CSRs. Just refuse shipment when the receivers get there.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

I have been able to view 4K Dish content since it started rolling out about 2 years ago... nothing has been in 4K HDR before.  I sat down Friday night to watch the Olympics on my high end LG 4K set...only to find out that my tv was not compatible to this new feed.  News to me, as everythign I have ever sent to this tv plays...10bit, mkv, 4K Blurays, etc.  This is the first I have heard of this newer format, and I have been able ot watch 4K content for months.  Accordign to LG the TV does support HDR, but only through the USB and streaming, due to being released in early 2015, before the HDMI 2.0a upgraded ports were released.  So in essence, this early 4K tv does support HDR feeds, but not through the HDMI ports, so there would be no way to watch a 4k HDR feed from any set top box.  Apparently my tv will never be software upgradeable, since its a hardware thing too.

So, my gears started spinning and I figured not a big deal on my main tv, I will just watch in my man cave, on a newer LG using my 4K Joey... nope, even though that TV was compatible, the 4K Olympics channel was not even available on that receiver box.  So, after a 2 hour call with 2 different techs, we determined that the 4K Joey was not compatible and will not have the channel.

So, why does Dish start broadcasting 4K HDR now, when the feeds they have been using up to now on all of their content have been just the non-HDR 4K, which looks amazing.  I am an early 4K adopter and feel like I am being punished for buying into the technology early.  Based on my research the ports were changed from HDMI 2.0 to 2.0a in mid to late 2015, so some tv sets sold in 2016 may be software upgradeable, and some sets will never be upgradeable due to having the old hardware inside the tv.  The HDMI ports physically look the same, but the electronics inside is newer/faster, and can allow more bandwidth throughput to support more demannding color schemes/depths.

This is disappointing all around, and I am sure many others are in the same boat.  If the 4K Joey does not support the HDMI 2.0a spec, it will never be able to broadcast the 4K HDR feed to your tv set, so that leaves most people with only the Hopper 3 from their main room as a 4K viewing option.  I had planned on watching in my main room only, so this doesn't pose an issue to me.  I do feel that Dish needs to send out a standard 4K feed like they have been using since they started broadcasting 4K, instead of the 4K HDR feed, which is only compatible to the later 4K adopters. I was never informed that they would be using HDR on their 4K channels, and they really didn't do a very good job of informing people, or rolling this out.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
That is the trouble with being an early adopter... there is no standards set.

As far as the Olympics being in 4K and HDR, well that was a choice of NBCUNIVERSAL. They made that call.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

I guess that may be the case, but it makes Dish look bad since the 4K feed for the Olympics is different than all of their other 4K content.  Sounds to me like NBC is attempting to push people to upgrade their equipment, and it is sad that Dish is touting 4K through the 4K Joey, but not in the case of the Olympics... another double standard (in a world full of them these days) and Dish cannot blame their equipment incompatibility on NBC.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
This is a fairly new technology, and the 4K Joey launched before the H3. 4K and HDR are not the same thing. The 4K Joey was announced January, 2016. Do the math, they couldn’t just add it in...

tksamtec
Camera Crew

Do the math?  No... it sounds like Dish needs make a 4K Joey that supports all 4K feeds... the current version does not.  If they are going to broadcast 4K feeds, removing the channel from the guide is NOT a fix.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
No one else does yet. And 4K and HDR are not the same thing.

tksamtec
Camera Crew

I never claimed that they were the same thing,  The bottom line is that its a stupid decision to support it on the Hopper 3 and not their other 4K receivers.  Dish doesn't market the receivers any differently... they market them as being 4K, without any caveats!  They should have just omitted the NBC 4K HDR Olympics feed altogether, but I am sure they from a technology standpoint, they will market around that.... if the HDR feed was not there, there would be no issue with receivers supporting or not supporting the feed or tvs being compatible or not.  I learned alot this weekend about 4K, HDR, HDCP compliancy, HDMI ports, etc.