Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

Jobeywon
Extra

Just 2 days ago I had two new 4K Joey's installed, as I told the Dish rep I wanted to watch the 4K HDR Olympics programming they were offering.  I was glad they came out promptly but tonight the programming started and I could only get the 4K ch to play on the TV connected directly to my Hopper3.   The two TV's connected to the 4K Joey's did not even show ch 147-05 (their 4K HDR Olympics Ch) on the guide on the Joey's.  

After 30 minutes on the phone with the Tier 1 support person, and another 20 on the phone with Tier 2, she finally tells me she just checked further and learned that DISH DOES NOT OFFER THE 4K OLYMPICS CONTENT THRU THE 4K JOEY!    What the...?  

Dumb move on their part.  If the Hopper3 can stream 4K PPV through to the 4K Joey (it can), there is no technical reason it could not stream the 4K Olympics Ch through to them.  

I had to pay $50 for each of those and I will be getting my money back (the Tier 2 rep was trying to connect me back to Customer Support to work thru that when the line went dead).  I'll deal with that tomorrow, but thought everyone should know this - since the Dish reps selling the great new 4K Joey didn't Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
42 Replies

4K Joey Olympic Coverage

ddbb
Extra
It is very disappointing Dish users who paid an extra fee to a 4K Joey cannot watch the 4K programming because the equipment does not support HDR

Re: Beware - 4K Joey won't play Dish Winter Olympics 4K Channel !

Chadt4141
Casting Director
I don’t honk the Joeys can do HDR and the 4K Olympics are UHD with HDR

Re: 4K Joey Olympic Coverage

Chadt4141
Casting Director
The H3 supports HDR

4K Joeys are not able to see the 4K content that NBC is producing but the Hopper 3 still can. This is because the 4K Joey is not HDR-compatible.

From Digital Trends: HDR stands for high dynamic range. The technology behind HDR means it can provide a higher level of contrast between light and dark images on the screen to create a much more realistic image. That may not sound like much on paper, but in reality, it’s a pretty significant move. In fact, many in the industry believe HDR represents a significantly bigger leap in picture quality than UHD’s higher resolution.

---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

ddbb
Extra
At the end of the day, Dish just needs to fix the software and push it out to their customers soon.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
This is not a software limitation.

Re: Beware! 4K Olympics not supported on Hopper3!?!?

Delvec03
Extra
I encourage all of us who can't watch the Olympics on the 4k Joey to file a BBB complaint. I'm looking for a refund.
Why broadcast in a format that less than half of your multiroom DVR customers can watch? Drop the hdr. Idiots. I feel bad for the ineptitude of this company.
Also moving doesn't direct TV once my 2 years is up.

Josh
Camera Crew
Not the case it appears. I can see the 4K channel but not supported at this time by the Hopper 3. Called support and they said it was a broadcast issue?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
That is a message youll get(in error) until the 4K event is broadcasting.

As to the poster wanting to file a BBB complaint... you can file, but honestly it would be about as close to a frivolous complaint as you can get. You are not owed 4K Olympics... and it being available in HDR does not mean that you should expect any company moensation.