Backing up to External Hard Drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up to External Hard Drive

jrock
Character Actor
I am currently backing up my recordings from Hopper w/Sling in anticipation of getting a new receiver. I got the backup started, and watched the status bar for a few minutes (it said hours were remaining), then clicked the "Watch TV" button. [b:88ojb6gp]How can I get back to the transfer status to check on how it's proceeding?[/b:88ojb6gp] I don't see an option in any of the menus. Thanks!
14 Replies

Re: Backing up to External Hard Drive

dflem29
Costume Designer
If you select your external HD as the source from the Hopper HDD menu, it should give you how much time is remaining if I am remembering correctly. It will not allow you to see what is on the external until it has completed the transfer.

You should also double check with someone knowledgeable about the use of externals with the Hopper 3... one tech told me there is no guarantee that the external HD will work with the Hopper 3 if it was formatted with an earlier one... at least I have not gotten a satisfactory answer, in fact I have gotten conflicting answers from different people in Technical services when calling in!

I have been told that it has the same specs for externals, yet another tech told me the externals have to be 2TB or larger! They need to get their information correct... I sure would like to know what is really true!!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Its up to 2 tb. Anything larger is not supported.

You should transfer the programs in batches otherwise it tends to timeout.

jrock
Character Actor
dflem29 wrote:
If you select your external HD as the source from the Hopper HDD menu, it should give you how much time is remaining if I am remembering correctly. It will not allow you to see what is on the external until it has completed the transfer.

That's exactly what I needed, thank you!

I will see how it goes when the tech shows up with the new Hopper. Losing recordings wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it would be nice to save them if possible.

jrock
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
You should transfer the programs in batches otherwise it tends to timeout.

That's good advice. So far the progress bar keeps moving, but if it does time out I will try your approach.

dflem29
Costume Designer
Please let me know (post) if your existing external HD works with your new Hopper 3!
I have not gotten a straight answer... only that they do not guarantee the existing external HD will work.

Hopefully, it will and will not require you to reformat it to the Hopper 3, thus losing your transferred shows.

I have Western Digital & Seagate externals... of course they are 2 TB with external power supplies.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
dflem29 wrote:
Please let me know (post) if your existing external HD works with your new Hopper 3!
I have not gotten a straight answer... only that they do not guarantee the existing external HD will work.

Hopefully, it will and will not require you to reformat it to the Hopper 3, thus losing your transferred shows.

I have Western Digital & Seagate externals... of course they are 2 TB with external power supplies.

It is supposed to work, and it worked for me. Sometimes a rep needs to send a new authorization signal to the new hopper. But there have been a few reports, I think, of folks not being able to get it to work. I have no idea why. So there might be some risk, but pretty minimal I'd say.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Hopper 3 can take a few days to get all info downloaded, your current ext hard drive may not be recognized right away so don't panic & reformat. Wait a day or two & it should work.

dflem29
Costume Designer
What icon do you see on your DVR 'Recordings' screen when you have an EHD connected?

My replacement HWS is showing a Hopper-USB-Hopper icon (actually says hopper on the pic). That is the same icon I saw when doing HWS-HWS Restore. My old HWS had a different icon when I connected an EHD.

Is this normal? Could this indicate there is a problem with my replacement HWS?

stile99
Cinematographer
It simply means the replacement has the software update that was released about a week ago. That icon was one of the changes.