Anyone with OTA problems after last update? H3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with OTA problems after last update? H3

scotar
Audio Engineer
The past two times I have tried to tune to an OTA local (I have the new dual tuner USB dongle) there has been no signal. I get the OTA signal pop up with a progress bar. Going to guide and tuning another OTA gets the same thing.

The only way to get it to get a signal again is to unplug the dongle and plug it back in THEN reboot. It recognizes it when you unplug and plug, but will not tune to any of the locals.

I looked and noticed I received U501 on 8/1/2017 That is about right. I don't watch OTA much.
19 Replies

Re: Anyone with OTA problems after last update? H3

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Just checked mine and it seems to be okay. Same dongle. Perhaps try a different USB port on the Hopper?

scotar
Audio Engineer
Swapping ports didn't fix it.

Crap! lol

tpribors
Audio Engineer
I have had this happen to me a couple of times in the past month or so but had attributed it to the antenna signal. I have re-attached the USB dongle to the other port and rebooted, and the signal came back. Maybe it wasn't the port switch but the reboot. I didn't move the antenna so its not that.

tpribors
Audio Engineer
At first I thought the issue applied only to the playback of programs recorded from the OTA dongle. Today I have been watching an OTA channel live, and the pixelation is awful. There are no weather conditions to explain the corruption of the signal and it looks fine on live TV.

tpribors
Audio Engineer
Something else I noticed. The pixelation IS occurring on live programming as well. At first I thought it was only recorded programming but it is also on live.

One thing I noticed this morning while watching the same programming on both live antenna on one set and on the H3 on another:

When the pixelation occurs, there was a block of the screen that was all corrupted, and the content of that corruption was programming from as long as 30 seconds ago. The way I could tell was that there was an unmistakable portion of a commercial that was already over in live mode interjected into the video stream. I've noticed this on some other slices where it looked like the corruption was not missing (like you'd see if the antenna were bad) but old (as though the digital processing of the antenna video packets over the USB interface are not being properly time ordered as they are written to the recorder or passed through the video processor.

02golikc57
Extra
I just had the OTA installed last week and continue to get loss of signal. It was so bad today, I lost all OTA channels and have to call tech support. We did a complete power off and disconnected the USB dongle then rescanned to pick up the OTA channels again. and so for so good tonight. I will continue to monitor but if this continues, I think I will go back to the dish local channels.
By the way, has anyone noticed how hot to the touch the usb dongle connector is ? My usb dongle and coax cable are extremely hot and I am worried that it could catch fire.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The dual OTA module will run about 115 degrees currently.

Gcatlett
Character Actor
I wonder if a pc fan installed somehow on it would help any.

mjmgator
Extra
I recently started having all kinds of problems when trying to record programs on OTA. Often, I get a signal loss message on a blank screen and nothing will record. Alternatively, if it does record, the playback is awful because of pixelation and audio breakup. I can view live OTA just fine. I've tried all of the routine re-booting, etc., but that makes no difference. Something has changed. Even use of my remote control now seems sluggish. I think its a software issue. Dish needs to fix it.