Alexa Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Alexa Support

techjunk83
Camera Crew
Alright thanks, this DISH skills needs to improve the commands available.

sevdavcar
Character Actor
Has anyone successfully connected their joey to alexa? I have tried for days. We are new customers and this is one of the reasons we switched from direct tv to dish. I got the hopper to connect right away but the joeys will not show up in the device list. I have spent countless hours with tech support and been told they will open a ticket, I need to call Amazon which I did and they told me to call dish. We have reset everything and deleted everything at least 5 times. How did you do it if you were successful?

techjunk83
Camera Crew
My Joey and Hopper work with Alexa, the problems is changing channels is one of the few voice actions that work. Dish ads on TV are almost fraudulent in a way, you are oversold what actually works. Hopefully it will improve but Dish's track record at improving products sucks.

mmcl26554
Camera Crew
I have found if you do not give the Echo any Dish commands, other than channel change, for an hour or more, it will not respond to any other commands, such as pause, resume, skip forward or rewind. However, the solution is to add an unpublished command. For example instead of saying pause or resume say "Pause Dish" or "Resume Dish". For skipping forward say "skip the Dish forward(however many minutes you want up to 3). Do the same for rewind. Don't forget to say the trigger word Alexa or Echo whichever you are set for. You only have to do this once then it will accept commands without the extra reference to Dish, unless you go for an hour or more without using it. Try it and see if it works. It works for me, however, I have no Joey.

hotrod0312
Extra
Has anyone successfully connected their joey to alexa? I have tried for days. We are new customers and this is one of the reasons we switched from Comcast to dish. I got the hopper to connect right away after the software updates but the joeys will not show up in the device list. I have been on the phone for hours with tech support and been told they have no idea they said it is an issue my my alexa app and that I need to call Amazon which I did and they told me to call dish. We have reset everything and deleted everything at least 5 times. I have connected via WIFI instead of hard wired, that didn't work. I have reset and reset and reset. I am becoming completely annoyed. This was the only reason I got this service. I have someone who is legally blind, they can see a tv but cannot read small print. There is a good chance that if this cannot be fixed I will just cancel the service and go back to Comcast. Has anyone had this work and if so how?

peggyrh
Casting Director
First off you can't "just cancel" without paying an early termination fee, you are in a 2 year contract. Your Dish service works fine, your "add on" of Alexa is not considered part of your service so no reason to cancel.

Second, Alexa is not meant to be a replacement for a remote control, it only works for limited commands so it probably won't work as you expect. Did you try deleting the app from your phone, rebooting, then reinstalling the app to set up everything again? Sometimes that's all it takes. Both my Dot and Echo worked as advertised but I stopped using shortly after I realized the physical remote works much better for the way I watch tv and the new remotes have voice as well as being backlit.

hotrod0312
Extra
Yes ma'am I can cancel if I am within the window to cancel. Also if you can't fix a service you advertise regardless of the purpose then maybe you shouldn't use it to push a product! Also I didn't ask for that info, I asked for help to resolve it. So if you can't be part of the solution, please don't post.

stile99
Cinematographer
Your window to cancel is 0 minutes and 0 seconds after installation is complete.

Interesting to note your post is word to word lifted from another poster, but you changed "direct tv" to Comcast.
Highlighted

mmcl26554
Camera Crew
hotrod0312, I have a couple suggestions for you. Have you thought of just getting the voice controlled Dish remotes. You might be able to convince them to give you one free or reduced price. I don't know if it supposed to work with "Joey" so I cannot say anything about that. It works OK with my H3 with one minor problem which I have outlined in my last post. You might try the commands I have to use when the Echo forgets it is connected to the H3 maybe that will work with "Joey" at least it's worth a try. However, if the Echo does not see the Joey as a device it may not ever work, unless the control should come through the H3. Hope you can resolve your problem.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
There is no grace period on the Dish contracts, and there are no states that recognize rights to rescind on services such as TV services. The information Peggy offered you was correct.