cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Alexa Support

scotar
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:

The 1 AM update has nothing to do with money, but technical restrictions that I'm not getting into again.
Please point me to the post. I would love to read that! :shock:

Chadt41411
Casting Director
scotar wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

The 1 AM update has nothing to do with money, but technical restrictions that I'm not getting into again.
Please point me to the post. I would love to read that! :shock:

It's in the wish list.

TimInBoston
Character Actor
give me a break, if Dish really wanted to they could give us back the ability to set the reboot time again. I don't accept this "technical limits" nonsense. Its just another failure on their part. Either they made the new hopper and forgot to add this feature and adding it now would be costly and they don't want to spend the money, or they didn't add it on purpose because it would have added cost and/time (time=money) to the roll out of the new hopper. Either way it's lame. I don't know why you keep defending them, especially if you don't work there. If no one complains, nothing ever changes. Sitting back and taking it is as stupid as defending them.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You can believe as you choose, however it does not change the fact that it is a technical limitation. That's the difference. Facts do not care about your feelings.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You just went like 9 different directions, and the fact still remains. It is a system limitation that has to do with bandwidth. This was not something I was choosing to believe. This is something known as fact. You're correct that I do not work for Dish, but I had. So you can choose not to believe it, however that will not change the facts.
Highlighted

scotar
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
You can believe as you choose, however it does not change the fact that it is a technical limitation. That's the difference. Facts do not care about your feelings.
Somebody has you snowed!!! :D

It is simply a matter of allowing the user to set a variable. Which is the same as any setting you change in the settings. It is changing a variable that appears in a line of code somewhere in the operating system whether it is the resolution you set or the language you want for your menu.

I don't know the exact language of the OS but any programming language would be a similar flow...

If time=X AND days_since_reboot >=3 then reboot. Elsewhere in the code is X=01:00 (The setting of the vairable)

At 1 AM it checks to see if it has been 3 days since it rebooted and it will force a reboot. It won't reboot on day 1 or 2. 'days_since_reboot' is a counter(variable) elsewhere in the code.that increments every 24 hrs.

All they have to do is let us set the time!!

There is NO technical limitation to the hardware that would limit the time it reboots! Absolutely NOTHING!!! Anybody tells you any different, they are lying or don't know what they are talking about!!!!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You're thinking receiver. Start thinking satellites. And bandwidth. It is a technical limitation.

scotar
Audio Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
You're thinking receiver. Start thinking satellites. And bandwidth. It is a technical limitation.
Okay, enlighten me. Most all channels are still showing video in the middle of the night as during the day. Tell me how there is bandwidth freed up miraculously at 1AM?

And if it were truly a bandwidth problem, I would think one of the rocket scientists at Dish would realize "Hey, we have high-speed internet hooked up to most of our receivers. Why don't we use that? Cheaper too!" So I am not buying it.

At any point in time I can download a movie on demand that is several gigs.

Also back to your bandwidth argument, our receivers don't do large updates all the time. Usually every couple of months. It is usually guide data and that is a bunch of plain text (which is very small when referring to data size/bandwidth) and a thumbnail for the show. THAT is NOT a bandwidth hog. The usual 1AM shutdown is not a bandwidth intensive process.

Alexa command for tuning to subchannels

VPALLARI
Extra
I got an alexa the other day and I have a couple of questions
1) When I turn on dish manually, it turns on the TV as well. However, when I use alexa it just turns on the box. any suggestions?

2) more importantly, when I want to watch a channel like 412-09, alexa has no clue what Im talking about. Anyone know a command to get around that?

Using Alexa on two tvs

gulfvis
Character Actor
My hopper controls 2tvs. I have main tv set up and using Alexa
Just fine. Is it possible for the second tv to use Alexa?