A Panoply of Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Panoply of Problems

shideg
Camera Crew
After reading several posts here, I'm getting the impression that the only solution for all of the problems I'm about to describe is to drop dish and become a customer of another carrier.

We have had 2 hoppers for about 4 years. A few months ago, one of them died, taking many hours of recordings with it on its internal drive.

Dish replaced the Hopper, and it has newer software. We now have this:

Kitchen (old) Hopper
SW version: S616 6/22/2016 1:52AM
Bootstrap: 1212 NACB

Livingroom1 (new) Hopper
SW version: U108 12/20/2016, 133AM
Bootstrap: 1212
Application Software: AN242
Transceiver Firmware: 0060

Here's what we've been experiencing:

1.) The entire interface is painfully slow. (I agree with those who say how ridiculous it is for Dish to release software on old hardware that performs so poorly on old hardware. Don't they bother to test it?)

2.) Skip ahead and skip back buttons register more presses than I make
(unless I only press once). e.g. 2 presses get recognized as 3-4 presses. This makes it very difficult to navigate recordings.

3.) No more 4x fast speed. Why?

4.) The new Hopper doesn't see recordings on the old Hopper's internal disk.
It sees the old Hopper.
It shows how much space is used on old Hopper.
But it shows no recordings.
I've rebooted both Hoppers to no avail. Also, the old Hopper didn't see the new Hopper at all until I connected an external disk to the old Hopper. I don't see how that is related.

5.) About 50% of the time, the new Hopper warns me that I have an external disk connected when I turn it on. I know I have an external disk connected. I don't need to be reminded.
10 Replies

Re: A Panoply of Problems

shideg
Camera Crew
6.) In folders, recordings are grouped by show title. There is no way to view the entire folder by record date. This makes it difficult to watch multi-day sporting events, like tennis tournaments. I have to search through recordings to find the oldest. The Tennis Channel shows the same tournament throughout a day under multiple titles in the guide, and ESPN does the same, adding complexity by having coverage on different channels (ESPN, ESPN2) at different times. Organizing a folder by show title makes watching things in chronological order very difficult. I have to comb through multiple lists trying to locate the oldest recording. Alternatively, I can set up manual timer recordings. Both alternatives are labor intensive and would be unnecessary if the entire folder can be viewed by record date/time. This same problem will arise when I watch the next Olympic Games.

7.) There is a higher incidence of corrupted recordings. I don't know if this is caused by the new Hopper hardware or the new software.

8.) I frequently encounter recordings where the cursor indicates it's at the end of the recording (0 minutes left), but I can still watch it (and fast forward or rewind), but the cursor never moves.

I've been semi-tolerant of the erosion of features I've seen in the older software, but this new software is just plain bad.

Is there any way to downgrade my new Hopper to older software (and prevent either Hopper from automatically upgrading)?

Overall this is making for a dreadful user experience. I'd consider cancelling but we have a 1-year plus backlog of shows we've been recording. I don't know if I can take an external disk from a Hopper and use it on another company's DVR. So we're kind of stuck.

So is there any recourse for all these frustrating issues? I'm paying Dish a lot of money every month, and I would think I'd get a better experience for my money.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
#5 - ehd will always show when connected or disconnected, all of my old Hoppers have worked that way (original Hopper & Hopper w/Sling - going back over 4 yrs). Hopper 3 does same thing, so I doubt it's going to change.

DISH Employee
I can certainly understand your frustrations regarding these issues and we want to address them and get them resolved for you. In terms of your remotes registering more than has been pressed, has this always happened or is this a recent development?

The new Hopper does not see the recordings or communicate with the old Hopper due to the difference in Software Versions. In order for them to communicate, we need to update the older software to the newer one. There is no way to revert back to the previous software version.

When you are in a folder and it's grouped by title, you should be able to enter the folder and then select an option at the top, which will allow you to either group by recording date or episodes. With your recordings that are showing as corrupted, is this only on one or the other Hopper or is it happening on both?

shideg
Camera Crew
To peggyrh: I'm not disconnecting and re-connecting the EHD. It is staying connected.

I'm seeing this message about 50% of the time I turn on the Hopper (with the EHD [i:3a4ajtbc]already connected[/i:3a4ajtbc]).

peggyrh
Associate Producer
that's because when you turn on the Hopper it reconnects with the EHD & is letting you know it's available to use, it's supposed to work that way.

shideg
Camera Crew
Didn't do that with the older software. I only got the notice if I was actually connecting the EHD, not just turning on the Hopper.

shideg
Camera Crew
BethanieA wrote:
I can certainly understand your frustrations regarding these issues and we want to address them and get them resolved for you. In terms of your remotes registering more than has been pressed, has this always happened or is this a recent development?

This started with the new Hopper (and new software).

BethanieA wrote:
The new Hopper does not see the recordings or communicate with the old Hopper due to the difference in Software Versions. In order for them to communicate, we need to update the older software to the newer one. There is no way to revert back to the previous software version.

That is unfortunate. This version of the software has serious performance problems on this hardware.

BethanieA wrote:
When you are in a folder and it's grouped by title, you should be able to enter the folder and then select an option at the top, which will allow you to either group by recording date or episodes. With your recordings that are showing as corrupted, is this only on one or the other Hopper or is it happening on both?

I see no grouping options. if I click the red button to get to "Options" I have the following choices:

Sort
Manage Recordings
Timer Defaults
Manage Folders

The Sort option is the same thing as clicking the yellow button. The choices there are "A-Z" and "Recorded Date". Regardless of which of these I select, they are still grouped by show title. I need an option to see a list of a folder's contents not grouped by anything, and sorted by recorded date.

shideg
Camera Crew
So...any help here?

DISH Employee
In a Private Message send us the Receiver ID to submit you symptoms and issues with the new software release to our engineers for review.