981 ruining my life!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

981 ruining my life!!!

Bigshot31
Extra
Well I had best get a very NICE sized credit or I'm canceling my service... been with dish forever off and on thru the years they r worse everytime... if u cant handle the technology then dnt put it in so many people's homes.. Reman receivers... Joey 1.0s r over 6 yrs old maybe even 10 by now and it's time to do away with hopper 2.0s as well put hopper 3s and Joey 2 or wifi Joey's in every1s homes and b done wit it... notice only Joey 1s have this issues... coincidence??? I think not... credit us who do not have service for past 3 or 4 hours and update ur shotty equipment.
8 Replies

Re: 981 ruining my life!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience while our team identified a solution.  The issue will automatically resolve overnight when your receiver is in standby mode, but you can also update the software on your Joey immediately.  Please visit www.mydish.com/support/981 to view the step by step solution on how to update the software. 

BrianP58
Audio Engineer

Following the instructions but can't put the Joey in standby mode.  The error message is the only thing ion the screen.  Pressing the power button does nothing and resetting it brings it right back to the error message.

Stair1949
Extra

Followed your software update instructions and my joeys began working again.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Would you be satisfied with the $0.23 you paid for it for the whole 24 hours?
And ruining your life? Slightly dramatic...

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
$0.07 for the time it was out, after further calculation... would that be substantial enough,

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @BrianP58, did you skip or cancel your recording timers for at least the next 2 hours? Also, you'll want to be sure that you are powering down the main Hopper so the Standby screen is visible (the one that shows, "Your receiver is currently off"). The main Hopper should give you a prompt of the software being downloaded and the Hopper should then send the software to the Joey and begin the reset on it's own.

If those steps don't resolve the issue, your system should automatically update overnight while all equipment is in standby mode.

Shadowdc1
Extra
Error Code 981 is affecting 2 of my Joey’s in my home. I attempted to call but was DISCONNECTED after an HOUR. I have followed the steps that you say will fix this to no avail. I have even tried plugging the box directly via Ethernet cable and still nothing. It is now 12:25 AM and I first noticed this when I woke up to watch the news at 5:45 AM June 15, 2018. Why am I paying for a service that has not provided any customer service during this time? Should I expect new boxes and/or a credit on my account for these issues? This is really ridiculous.

boomboom21
Extra

The solution you presented only references the Joey 1.0 devices.  I have the Hopper 3 with two 4k Joey's and a Wifi Joey.  Both of my 4k Joey's started getting the 981 error yesterday (Wifi Joey is fine). I tried the solution posted on the supported page and let everything site for a couple hours.   Still not working.  

I had this exact problem in February.  I spent several hours on the phone with support then and it took almost a week to be resolved.  I don't think I have the patience for that again.  If this isn't resolved soon I'll be cancelling service.