514c error message (another system update issue)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

514c error message (another system update issue)

prplchkj
Camera Crew

Tonight I recieved a 514c error message that says "Something's not quite right. Your receiver has not been reset in a while. To prevent your system from becoming unstable and to ensure you have the latest programming and software updates, your receiver will be reset in 45 seconds."  There's a note at the bottom that says the reset will take less than five minutes.

Know what?  I don't freaking care. I was in the middle of watching a program and the system just shut off. I have the update time set for 4 am. 

I have been a Dish Network customer for nearly 15 years and I have never had issues like I have had in the year I've had the Hopper.  Perhaps the frustration stems from the fact that, at it's root, the major problem I have, and am *still* having, all stem from the same source. The system forcing updates while customers are using the system.

There is no reason that the system should update and override my viewing or a recording. Absolutely none. If I interrupt it frequently enough that my programming hasn't updated...do what the old software did....inform me that it's out of date when I go to the guide. Otherwise, the system should *only* update at the time I have designated in my settings.  I don't understand why this is so difficult.

14 Replies

Re: 514c error message (another system update issue)

DISH Employee

I can definitely understand the frustration of getting interrupted in the middle of a movie or show. The Hopper will do its nightly updates late at night to refresh things like software, guide, apps. The 514c message and forced update appears when the Hopper has not downloaded the nightly update in more than 72 hours. 

If there is a recording during the update time, the Hopper will skip the update to not interrupt it. With your update time set for 4am, do you also have any timers that are recording during or at 4am as well?

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Your info is incorrect, my wireless joey is rarely used at night, yet everytime I do use it (at night) I get the old abrupt 1 am black screen with no message - which interrupts whatever I'm watching.  3 minutes later live tv returns. My other Joey & Hopper 3 never get that message so the rest of the system is updating as it's supposed to - been a continual issue since the August software update & reported several times.  Only way around it is to schedule a recording.  Software needs to be fixed !

prplchkj
Camera Crew

No, I have no recording scheduled for 4am. Every now and then I will stop the download but that had not happened in a month. There was no reason that the download couldnl't have run 72 hours prior to that message.  If I got that message while watching at 4am that would have made sense but not during primtime.

DISH Employee

I can definitely get you added to the list of people affected by this issue! Please Private Message me your phone number and 4-digit PIN.

You can view step-by-step instructions on how to send a PM here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer

Having the same issue here. Happened Sunday at 5 pm (East Coast time Florida) and again tonight at 5:55 PM. Had happened a few times last week. What's up? An update is set at 4 am and there are no timers set for that time.

Gary D Hutchinson

EaseYourMind
Extra

This happens in this house SO often!  We have ours set for 6am, as nothing is recording at that time.  However, our TV's go off all week long, during the day AND evening! In fact, it just happened YESTERDAY!!  It's not our fault if the thing doesn't update at the designated time. I now have SEVEN shows that are split into two because of this massively inconvenient interruption. This is unacceptable. It is happening WAY too often. We even just got a brand new Hopper! (This happened with the previous one as well). You've got to get your act together. It's bad enough we don't have HBO or Cinemax. I'm missing shows thanks to this "deal" you're trying to strike with them. We've had DISH for 2 years now... and have had nothing BUT issues with the system.

gdhutchinson
Costume Designer

Happen again here at 7:50 AM EST.  Still have not received an answer on a solution!!

Gary D Hutchinson

DISH Employee

EaseYourMind, These resets can be very frustrating and we have our Engineer Team looking into why this is happening. Since it is happening during the day on more than one occasion, have we tried to do a hard reset first thing in the morning and see if that takes care of the issue? 

prplchkj
Camera Crew

Actually, KarolenaP,  from my perspective, a more important question is how do I check to see when my system did it's last update. I would like to verify whether the system is downloading the update at the scheduled time. I think that would be useful information to the software engineers as well.