21.1 Remote Reset

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21.1 Remote Reset

graywoulf
Extra
I just received a new 21.1 replacement remote and I have had some initial issues with doing some manual programming with it. I am trying to add some extra functions to the TV mode button to access my TV's on screen menu. I know how the manual programming sequence works and I was able to add the cursor movement and the select/enter functions without any problem. Or so I thought. Somehow the menu button was programmed to a specific sub menu function by mistake and now when I try to reprogram the menu button I cannot get the remote to activate the learning function. I press and hold the TV button until all four buttons light up and that leaves the TV button flashing then I press the recall button and then press the record button which causes the TV button light to go out. I hold the record button for at least ten seconds but the TV button light never comes back on as it did the first time. I think I read somewhere that the remote has limited data storage and would cease to store any further programming data once that limit is reached. I also read about and tried removing the batteries and pressing the power button ten times to do a reset and I tried that several times but that did no good.

Is there a sure way to do a global reset of the 21.1 remote? I am almost ready to throw this remote out in the road. I tried to use the phone technical support but they obviously know less about this remote than I do as they kept telling me that it was not programmable and only worked with the three digit programming codes.

I need help please. :?
4 Replies

Re: 21.1 Remote Reset

IndyMike
Extra
I had this same problem and it took me a while to figure it out, if you haven't already solved this problem I think I can help.

You can only program additional buttons to a code one time. In other words, when you set your code, then went into learn mode and added functionality to additional buttons by pressing "Recall" and then the "Record" button, once you saved those additional codes...you CANNOT go back into learn mode and add more functionality to additional buttons.

Your only option at that point is to reprogram that mode button again with the 3 digit code you used. I would suggest entering a different code first just so it clears out the programming for that mode button (TV, DVD, or AUX) then program it again with the proper 3 digit code that gives you partial functionality. Once you have done this, you should be able to go back in learn mode and add the additional functionality to the buttons you want to program. Just write down a list of all the additional buttons you want to program so you don't forget any this time.

I hope that makes sense to you, if not let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

graywoulf
Extra
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. I do remember reading somewhere about the programming limit but I do not remember where I saw it nor did it offer any information on a work around as you have described. I will try that reset procedure and let you know how it goes for me. Thanks again for your time and suggestion.

IndyMike
Extra
You are most welcome! I'm pretty confident it will work for you, I find it very strange that DISH support documents make no mention of it, at least none I could find! :?

graywoulf
Extra
Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my question about resetting the 21.1 remote. Your suggestion worked beautifully as far as the manual programming of the menu and other buttons. At first the power button did not work but I just restarted the sequence and used a different three digit code and it all worked just fine afterwards. I think I may have entered a non working code by mistake the first time so that I expect threw me off course.

I don't know why the downloadable 21.1 remote manual is so badly written and leaves out so much information. And on top of that, the tech support people have no clue as to the fact that this remote has the manual programming feature at all. I talked to two techs prior to my first post here about this and both of them told me that there was absolutely no way to do any type of manual programming with this model remote.

I guess I could do a video on this process and upload it to my YouTube channel as I found no real help there except for a guy that was showing how to manually program the remote to operate his older Roku device.

So with that I would like to thank you again for your time and effort in assisting me on this. Take care. :D